Odd noise

Greetings gentlemen,

I took out this 1972 e-type yesterday and something was wrong. This is one of those models with the awful in-boarded & caged-in rear brakes which are impossible to get at without dropping the rear axle out. Anyway, in this particular case I'd had all the brakes done anyway: new disks, pads, refurbed calipers etc etc and thought it timely to take it out for a road test. Seemed a bit hesitant when flicking between forward and reverse; something inertial like the brakes were binding a bit (that's how it felt anyway). Didn't seem to want to free-wheel much on slight gradients. On speeding up, there was this pronounced clonk, clonk, clonk noise from the n/s rear which I immediately thought was due to loose wheel nuts so I anchored up promptly and checked, but they turned out to be fine. At 2mph this sounds like more of a grating than a clonking and seems to be in sync with the speed of the road wheels. Any ideas what this might be? It's done 60k miles.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

If this has the Dunlop brakes, spares are fiendishly expensive, so perhaps the calipers weren't fully overhauled with new piston assemblies. May also be a problem with the hardbrake.

Lift the car and try turning the wheels by hand to see if a brake is binding.

Think later ones went over to Girling. I'd expect spares for those to be easier/cheaper.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

With both wheels off the ground, *something* certainly is dragging, whether it's the brakes or not I can't say, but since they've just been done by a very reputable outfit, I'm not so sure it would be that. Noticeably more resistance to hand-turning on the near side as against the o/s. I'm wondering if a bearing might have broken-up. Think I'll run it in gear with the wheels off the ground and have a listen around the entire rear end with a hosepipe. Can't go wrong with a hosepipe IME. :-)

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I remember running a red light at Pembury about 40 years ago. I put my foot on the brake to stop, but it went to right to the floor and I carried on going! I had no choice but to run the lights but fortunately I got away with it as there were far fewer cars on the road back then. Later I recounted what had happened to an old timer mechanic and he said, "Oh, well, Girling brakes." Funny thing was, that was the *only* time it ever happened with that car and I never found what the issue was with it. Weird!

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

The Rover P6 had a similar brake layout to the E-Type. And that changed over from Dunlop to Girling fairly early on in its life. The rear calipers were a swing design with integral handbrake mechanism. Worked extremely well. But not totally fit and forget for ever. Needed a strip clean and lube once in a blue moon.

I well remember an early 2000 where the cost of replacing the Dunlop piston assemblies caused the car to be scrapped. Unlike a cast iron calliper, the piston bodies were made of something which wore out quite quickly requiring total replacement rather than just new seals.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)