Outback Climate Control System

Anyone know if it is possible to reprogram the climate control system? I have 3.0 2004 outback with auto climate control. I wish I had the old manual system. The auto climate control is poorly programmed. Who would set an air conditoner to go on in 0-20 degree weather or randomly change from floor vents to floor and dash vents, to dash vents for no reason.

Reply to
JDC

I agree that the system is terrible, but the a/c is not necessarily on when the a/c light is on. The light means it _may_ go in if needed. The auto feature should only control the temperature, not where the air goes. And of course, defrost would always need the a/c. Basically, it wouldn't be auto so much as an electronic thermostat. Then, they need to make it be able to blend air, not give you either heated air or vent air or air conditioned air.

Reply to
Alan

And of course, defrost would always need the a/c.

I have what might be a bonehead question: why does the the defrost always need a/c?

Reply to
Hallan Blaggit

to pull the humidity out of the air... that's what makes the windows fog on the insides.

Reply to
Mike

The automatic climate control is probably the feature I least like about my '02 VDC Outback Sedan.... I agree with you that it seems poorly programmed and doesn't work as expected. Especially I don't like the fact that in the car, 70 on a hot day is cold and 70 on a cold day is hot.... I think you know what I mean. 70 should be 70, period. I understand it's all relative, but something is not consistent. Also, the lowest setting is 65, which is cold, of course, but the next setting is 66 which is somethings too warm! There are times where I cannot find an appropriate setting using the automatic system.

Reply to
John A. Mason

It might not be in the programming. I am selling my 1995 Saab, with auto climate control. Before that, I had a 1987 Saab, also with auto climate control. I hate auto climate control! I just bought a 2000 Legacy L wagon, and I love the manual controls. With automatic, I spent more time adjusting it than with manual.

I think one chief reason is that we don't actually crave a given temperature. We crave a certain amount of heat being passed over our bodies. Temperature is not the same thing as heat. And our craving depends on outside temperature, among other things. That's why I think auto climate control is a flawed concept.

Reply to
Tom Reingold