Outback station wagon rear gate sensor?

I seem to have a developing problem with the rear gate on My 02 Outback wagon, Close it...even almost slam it closed, and the indicator on the dash shows it open. This is annoying if for no other reason than the dome light staying on. Especially when I take stuff out of the rear, close it, and go on to the house or elsewhere, not realizing it isn't fully closed, the dome light stays on for extended times...at least once over night.

Does anyone know where this sensor is, or how to adjust it so it closes without such forceful slamming of the door? Or is this indicating some real problem with the latch...and if so, is there anything to be done short of replacing the latch?

Thanks.

Reply to
Jack Countryman

I'll bet the HATCH is closing fine. The problem is with the 'pin switch.' Look around the hatch opening and find the switch. It sticks straight out and is spring loaded. Push on it several times. Does it move smoothly? Might need a little lubrication, or a replacement. These items are dirt cheep like $5.00. So the dealer would probably charge you around $30.00

Good luck!

~~Phil~~

Reply to
Phil Marshall