Problem with 99 Forester power steering

Starting about a month ago, my "engine area" squeaks like mad for about a minute after I start my engine. I am under the impression this is the result of something not right with the power steering.

Also, if I am parallel parked and have to do tight steering while stationary to get out of the space, I notice the steering wheel jerks and the lights dim in rhythm with the jerking if they are on.

I checked the PS fluid level and it's OK. In my uneducated analysis either there is air trapped somewhere or the pump itself is on its last legs. I'd like to have a clue before subjecting myself to the repair dept possible run around.

Comments?

Thanks,

Larry

Reply to
Larry

It may not fit with all the symptoms you listed - but a glazed or loose belt might cause squeaking. When were the access. drive belts last changed? Cheap enough to try some 'Belt Ease' or other belt dressing to see if the symptoms change.(I assume the PS fluid level is OK.)

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Thx for the advice, a little belt conditioner seems to have largely solved the issue.

Hpy nu yr!

Reply to
Larry

Now that you have found the cause you should change the belt or belts as "conditioner" is only a temporary cure. JMO Ed Hayes

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Aye aye capt!

Reply to
Larry

I've used belt dressing before and still carry a can with me for when other folks ask. Am I mistaken, or is it akin to overglorified spray glue?

~Brian

Reply to
strchild