Question about AWD

I'm guessing the AT have speed sensors on all wheels and adjust the transfer clutch pack accordingly. Therefore if one wheel is always turning faster it may drag the clutch to try to compensate, thus burning it out.

As for MT, there are no wheel speed sensors and the front or rear differential balance out the difference in speed such that the two drive axels are still turning at the same speed.

Yes, I know the doughnut is the same diameter, but being skinnier I'm sure it deforms more, beyond the 1/4" circumference allowed for.

-- Dominic Richens | snipped-for-privacy@alumni.uottawa.ca "If you're not *outraged*, you're not paying attention!"

Reply to
Dominic Richens

Yeah, but if it deforms that much it's underinflated, isn't it? Tonyrama

Reply to
tonyrama

This might not be the case as these tires are supposed to have around

60 psi in them. But since they are often neglected to the point where they may actually have much less, your point stands.
Reply to
null_pointer

There are if you have ABS.

-- Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Hoult

(*sigh*)

Reply to
Dominic Richens

Hello!

Just checked and it seems the spare on my Legacy is a 135/70-16 tire, which roughly gives it a 5% circumference difference from the stock

205/60-15 (used this tool to check:
). That is way above the factory specificed maximum difference (not commenting on whether that spec makes sense or not, that's a separate discussion... :) ). Hence the need to use FWD mode.

Nicolas

Reply to
Nicolas Dore

Partially correct,\

Auto uses hydraulic fluid shift, 40/60..

MT uses ltd slip viscous coupling 0/100

no damage to MT though 4EAT will be damaged.

Reply to
marc