Speedometer intermittent

I have bought a 99 Legacy to partner my 96 Legacy, but its speedometer is intermittent. Sometimes it stays at zero then springs into action. What are likely causes and treatments (and procedure) please?

Reply to
Gil Cleeton

Speed Sensor ...

"Gil Cleeton" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.com...

Reply to
Angler

I've replaced the Speed Sensor today (I assumed it was the unit over the crankshaft pulley?) but it's made no difference?

Reply to
Gil Cleeton

No it isn't - which and where is the sensor that governs the speedometer please?

Reply to
Gil Cleeton

Is yours mechanical or electronic? The mechanical speedometers usually have a cable that ties in to the transmission. There is usually a gear in there that you can change if you change tire sizes and need to adjust the speedometer. I'm not sure how the electronic ones work, I haven't owned one like that.

The last time I had an erratic speedometer was a few days before the cable snapped.

Reply to
Henry Paul

If you search the archives, you'll find more info. I also have a 99 OBW with the same problem. My dealer diagnosed it as needing a new sending unit. Parts and labor (including certified resetting of the odometer so the title indicates actual mileage) will cost about $300. Others on the NG has gotten similar estimates.

Once my speedo warms up on the highway, no problem. So, I'm going to live with it for awhile.

Reply to
L. Kreh

Again, documentation gets in the way of progress. But, it's consumer protection. Which leads to the question: does your odo portion work, or is it just the speedo that's sick?

"L. Kreh" wrote:

Reply to
Don.

generally the electronic VSS is picked up from the front differential on subies.

Reply to
Ken Gilbert

The sending unit is in the speedo/odo gauge itself. When my speedo doesn't work, my odo (and trip odo) doesn't work.

Reply to
L. Kreh