radar detector positioning?

I just got a new Escort 8500 radar detector for my 2004 STi, and I was wondering....should I be extra careful about positioning this thing, seeing as how there's that huge scoop on the hood that might get in the way of radar detection? Or would it not be a factor?

Thanks!

Matt

Reply to
Matt F

I don't know if your STi has one, but my RS has a little "sunvisor" over the rearview mirror. I clip my Passport Classic 2700 to it. (or I did until the clip broke last week). You can run the cord under the headliner and down the door frame to under the dash so that it is completely hidden.

It's got a good view forward from there...

Reply to
Cam Penner

I'd think the STi's scoop wouldn't be a factor in detecting radar as the detector would have to be high enough to not sit behind the wipers anyway. Generally, higher is better. But if you are also trying to detect laser, then a mounting position which is closer to their aiming point, usually headlights or license plate, is better to receive any bounce. Terry - '02 Regatta-Red GT wagon 5spd - 25,000 miles '03 Silver Legacy SE auto-sedan - 2450 miles Yakima / TandeMover / Rockymount rack To reply, get rid of the "nonsense"

Reply to
TW-Ohio

Mike Valentine of (the V1 detector) has a web page for this issue

summarizes as follows: "For the best chance of Early Warning, I suggest mounting high"Some of his web site is found to be inflammatory to owners of other radar detectors, but most of what he says of this page makes sense to me. High is where I put my (very old now, '96) V1 in my WRX. Between the roof and the rear view mirror. But I may move it to just below the mirror so it can get a better view of the back (I have a wagon, so the rear glass is pretty far away)

- Byron

Reply to
Byron

I have a 02 WRX and I mounted my radar detector (using the visor clip) to the roof trim. Also, add a nice touch and run the power line to the cigerette lighter. It's easy to do. I got a inline fuse holder and connected the hot wire to the cig lighter and the ground to the chassie behine the radio, then run the wire under the dash, up the A piller to the detector. This way whenever you turn on the car the detector comes on. Also, it hides the wire from view. I put my visor clip on the overhead trim panel to place it higher to the roof line. That way it don't stick down and is easily visable to anyone looking into the car. The black sun tint hides the unit.

If you need any parts (plugs, wire or fuse holer) Radio Shack has all the items you need.

Reply to
Mark