Radio bulb replacement

The radio dial light has gone out and I would like to replace the bulb. However, I cannot figure out how to get the radio out (2000 Outback, P120) and cannot find a replacement bulb listed on the internet. I wonder if the inability to find a replacement bulb listing indicates that there is none. Does anybody know if this radio has a replaceable dial bulb and where it might be purchased? If the bulb can be replaced, are there instructions on the internet for removing the radio?

Reply to
colion

I'm afraid I don't recall any specifics, but I have read of folks using a radio Shack bulb. If no one responds here, try searching/asking at

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

I posed the question to Subaru. Bottom line is that the bulb cannot be replaced by anyone other than Panasonic which requires sending the radio back to them and big bucks. So, either live without a light or buy a new radio. First class design that does not envision anything going wrong.

Reply to
colion

This is a pain in the ass, however not that big of a deal..... Remove the radio and take the top off of it.find the lamp(s) and apply power to the radio and measure the voltage to them.If it's 12 volts, find a 14 volt lamp and replace it with a like sized lamp OR....... use a WIDE ANGLE bright white LED.Regular LED's will not do the job as they throw a "Spot" beam of light. Here is your chance to change the color of the display.Figure the radio is practically worthless now and any improvement is good. Even GOOD car radios are now rather cheap, MUCH better than the OEM equipment. Buy a new radio, fix the old one and EBay the old one for someone that wont take the time to fix theirs :)

Reply to
Porgy Tirebiter