Radio Reception 2002 Forester

When on the road the radio reception in my 2002 Forester S is terrible. Once out of the local metro area I use the scan feature to look for stations. Several weeks ago I was in Tacoma WA and could not find one station of any strength. Any hints/ideas/fixes?

Reply to
Ray

Edward Hayes

Do you have a window-grid type antenna, and tint film on it? Is the biggest problem with AM stations?

Reply to
CompUser

Funny you mention tint film. I was considering getting the windows on my 04 Impreza tinted and one of my concerns was if the metalized tint films would affect reception.

Reply to
Craig

I mentioned it because I did, and it does! This was "standard" charcoal-gray tint, not "metallized" or metallic in appearance.

It degraded FM *slightly*...but it really killed AM reception.

I got out one day with an Xacto knife and trimmed it away, right along the antenna grid lines (the top 3-4 lines on glass). Worked like a champ!

Steve

Reply to
CompUser

in article QpAGc.203116$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net, Craig at snipped-for-privacy@netwiz.net wrote on 7/6/04 12:27 PM:

Did you put in an aftermarket head unit or is it the stock head unit? Is the radio reception okay in the city limits?

Reply to
Jon Macey

Make sure the connectors in the back/side window at the antenna end are properly plugged in. My '99 Forester's wiring came loose in shipping, and just needed to be re-seated.

-KarenM-

Karen Martin

Yes, I do have to window-grid type antenna AND I have aftermarket tinting. I will check the connections but am adverse to trimming the tinting as our dog rides in the back.

The radio is a stock AM/FM/Cassette/6CD unit.

Reply to
Ray

You may only need to trim just a fraction of an inch aling the antenna wire itself. That helped on my '99 Forester.

-KarenM-