Re: my first snowfall in my Forester

> Last spring I bought a '99 Forester and was looking forward to see how

>> it would handle the snow. Well, yesterday we got it spades, about 25 >> cm of the white stuff! The car handle it like a champ, and I haven't >> even put on the snow tires yet. I'm going to start calling my car >> 'pushmepullyou' in honour of the AWD. >> >> On the bad side is the clutch. It was replaced about a month before I >> bought the car and it is already burnt out. I use the car for work so >> there is about 2 hours of shifting per day, but to only get 8 months >> out of a clutch is not acceptable. > > If snow is deep enough, and nearly ten inches is, you can lift all four > wheels off the ground and not move. I did with my '98 Forester. Good > thing I had a shovel ;) > Frank

Around here they plow both sides and pile it up in the middle. I've seen people try to plow through and get hung up right in the middle teetering like a seesaw. BTW, most AWD and 4WD cars go great in the snow. It's stopping that's the problem.

Reply to
Sheldon

Boy, that's an idiotic way to plow streets: where pray tell is this being practiced? I've never seen such stupidity, nor do I care to, so your location would keep me in blissful ignorance, if you wouldn't mind.

Reply to
KLS

On Wed, 5 Dec 2007 21:48:28 -0500, KLS wrote (in article ):

If the street's wide enough, piling the snow in the middle makes sense to me. Or have you never had a car or a driveway entrance piled high with snow from the plow?

Reply to
John Varela

I always have those nice berms left by the plow trucks at the end of my driveway every winter, many times in fact (we average 90+ inches of snow a year). Where I live, I don't see this snow in the middle of the road; it truly would be idiotic to follow this practice given how long our snow stays on the ground. I still want to know where the OP lives that this practice is followed.

Reply to
KLS

When development is plowed, there is usually a pile of snow across driveway. Watched my neighbor hang up his Explorer trying to drive over it.

Also while you mention it, stopping is the problem with any car. All have 4 wheel brakes and stop equally well depending on tires. AWD/4WD get you going but don't help you stop.

Reply to
Frank

On Fri, 7 Dec 2007 17:14:09 -0500, KLS wrote (in article ):

Could be Salt Lake City, where the streets were made wide enough that a wagon team could turn around without "resorting to profanity."

Reply to
John Varela

Aye that! If you have good snow tires it's easier, but once you lose control, you lose control. And, ice is ice...

Reply to
Hachiroku

The snow is piled in the middle of Main Street, mostly, and then a giant snowblower goes down the middle of the street and blows it into dump trucks and it's taken away. If it was all pushed to the side parking would be impossible, and eventually the sidewalks would be unusable.

Reply to
Sheldon