REQ info: name of this part (2003 outback)

What is this exterior trim piece called?

Indicated piece is near bottom of photo, around foglamp, on a 2003 Subaru Outback Wagon. The picture is a head-on view of the left front. The analogous piece on the right side is somewhere out in the desert 10 miles west of here.

I'd like to get a replacement part, but I don't know the part name.

Thanks.

Reply to
H.W. Stockman

the partname: cover front bumper the partnumber 57731AE450MQ or MU

"H.W. Stockman" schreef in bericht news:TYyFf.1805$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net...

Reply to
Wim

I'm missing only the little piece that fits around the fog lamp on the right side. I take it there is no way (apart from a junkyard, maybe) to get just that little piece? It snaps into the rest of the cover.

Reply to
H.W. Stockman

That fog light 'grill' is likely available from your dealer, a junkyard, ebay, or an online discount dealer. Or take off the other one to match - many cars do not have them. Contact Jamie at

.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

I've already checked their web-visible inventory... but perhaps Jamie would know about parts not on the official web page?

I don't think it's the "grille" -- it is the molded plastic piece that surrounds the fog lamp. When it came off (in the first month I had the car), I pressed it back in place. Then a few months later, I heard it pop off and go under the wheel, but didn't make the connection till hours later.

The 2003 Outback has a long nose and a horrible safe takeoff angle, so any time one comes to a sudden increase in slope, the car has to brought to a near-stop to climb the hill. Anybody around here, who has used the car for even vaguely rough roads (not true off-road), has scratches on the bumper guard as a minimum, or is missing one or more pieces of plastic (like the wonderful 2mm-thick plastic "skid plate" under the bumper).

Reply to
H.W. Stockman

If this is a continuing activity for you, ask around at

about metal skid plates, bull bars, etc. for your car. Though shipping would likely be prohibitively expensive, the Aussies also make good gear for Soobs in more rugged use. Even preserving the airbag sensor function.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan
[...]

I've had a rear skid plate since shortly after I bought the car, and and getting a front skid plate in a few days. I bashed the nose probably in the first month I had the soob, and have been much more careful since. I never drive off-road, but around here, many of the roads, formerly regarded as

2wd, are now quite bad.

I see the biggest problems as:

1) lack of protection for the lower exhaust, no matter what skid plates you get; 2) the nose problem (takeoff angle); many of the roads around here travel in a level wash, then suddenly cut up the side of the wash, with a sudden change in grade; 3) lack of good tires. Many of the roads around here have sharp 2"- to 4"-diameter rocks -- no problem for clearance, but if they hit the sidewall, watch out.
Reply to
H.W. Stockman