Rumbling Noise from rear end

I?ve just bought an 05 2.0XT manual. When you back off the power, you get a loud rumbling noise. It happens at varying speeds but more often at speed (80 down to 70 mph) but not all the time. You don?t hear it when accelerating. It all points to the exhaust but can?t find a fault with it.

Any ideas or help much appreciated.

Reply to
blackjackshlack

Could it be the rear bearing(s)? We just got a letter from SOA saying they are extending the warranty on the bearings to 8 years /100K miles. 2005 or

2006 model year Legacys and Outbacks are the vehicles mentioned.
Reply to
Envoy Ed

Hi, Very likely bearing problem. I had 3 bearing problems between two Impreza.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

"blackjackshlack" wrote in :

Could be a hole in the muffler, like on the top where you can't see it when crawling underneath. It could also be the gasket blew out that connects the muffler pipe to the long exhaust pipe (coming from the engine headers). The rumbling could be backfiring which means your mixture is too rich and you should get it adjusted before you blow out other parts. Sometimes you can find a muffler shop that will do a free inspection.

Reply to
VanguardLH