seen the rx-8 today

Such a rip off of the s2000 in the front. Only has a 1.3L engine. Looks like CRAP. I thought this was supposed to be an upgraded version of the fast rx-7. This is a four seater with invisible back doors, that's neat and kool for a sports car. Would this even be considered a sports car? I havent herd anything much about the power but does it have any?

I think this car is a discrase.

Reply to
Larry Durst

Haven't seen it it yet but I THINK it's a 2 rotor Wankel. If the 'displacement' of the 2 combustion chambers adds to 1.3l you should multiply by 3 to get an equivalent number to -say- a V6. So that's 3.9l .

The old wankels were criticized for having poor thermal eff. and low economy (unless you trained yourself to rev high) plus short apex seal life. Still, kinda' glad to see it back. They probably have some cool new technology to overcome some of it's shortcomings.

Carl

1 Lucky Texan

Larry Durst wrote:

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Well, I actually like how the rx-8 looks. Anyways here is some quick specs on it I found with a simple google.

Two models, an Automatic and a 6-speed manual. Both weigh about 2940 lbs.

Automatic: MSRP: 25,180 HP: 197@7200rpm TQ: 164@5000rpm Softer suspension, smaller wheels and brakes

6-speed MT: MSRP: 26,680 HP: 238hp@8500rpm TQ: 159@5500rpm Sequential with steering wheel mounted thumb controls

Seems just from those published specs to have a similar feel to an s2000. In other words you probably have to rev the living shit out of them to get any power. Oh well, what do you really expect from a

1.3?l non-forced induction vehicle.
Reply to
Jason Kavanaugh

It's definitely not an RX-7, but I like it a lot. It's a rotary engine, so your comment about its lack of displacement is somewhat misleading. A 1.3L rotary is equivalent to almost two S2000 engines in terms of displacement. I also like the door/seating configuration

-- it's a nice compromise between a sport coupe and sedan.

Other than that, try the Mazda forum...

Reply to
L. Kreh

What's the difference between a rotary engine and a regular engine? I'm new to a rotary engine. I was only talking about the front grill and such as to the s2000, not the engine.

Reply to
Larry Durst

A friend of mine who is a mechanic at a local Mazda dealer says it's crazy fast, and you have to be really careful pulling out of the dealership or it'll come right around on you. I'm going to have to see this for myself :) Tonyrama

Reply to
tonyrama

Engineering

Reply to
MIKE

Engineering

Nothing to do with your post, but I like your sig! 0-60 in 1.85! Shiat thats fast! Do you own one?

Reply to
Dan J.S.

Feeling sorry for myself I dont own one. Hell yea I wished I did. I see this and was so amazed at it I had to have the facts as my signature. It's inasane for a car to go that fast.

Reply to
Larry Durst

Yeah, those specs are impressive. It reminded me that there was a guy at our little local dragstrip that ran a 7 somthing 1/4 mile in what I believe was an old barracuda. I think the actual time and car are listed at samoadragstrip.com. Crazy fast.

--Dan

Engineering

Reply to
dg

I saw a video clip in another ng of something that should give it a run for it's money at a tiny portion of the cost.

Pop a turbo on a Suzuki Hayabusa and see what a 400hp 1.3 litre can do. Yes, the speedometer is in mph.

Reply to
Cam Penner

Cant really see how fast he's goin cuz that turbo gauge or whatever it is, is getting in the way of the top end speed. But it's impressive how fast he was pickin up speed, and sounded good.

Reply to
Larry Durst

IIRC, the 120mph marker was about 1/2 of the way around the gauge. The impressive bit was the roll on acceleration. Moreso than top speed.

Reply to
Cam Penner