Shifter Knob/Boot Replacement in '11 Forester

I see the shifter knob is threaded onto the shift stick, but once I unscrew it the boot is hanging from it, and I see no way of removing it without tearing it! Does anyone know how to safely remove the boot so the shift knob can be replaced?

*R* *H*
Reply to
Rockinghorse Winner

Have you considered going to your dealer's parts department and asking to look at the parts breakdown illustration? Generally, you'll find that determining how it was put together will tell you how to take it apart. The mental image I get from your description is that the boot is attached to the knob when it is unscrewed and you have both of them in your hand. If so then my SWAG would be that if the boot was turned (gently!) inside-out there might be some visible sort of fastening. Unless, of course, they cast/glued/molded the whole thing as a single piece but somehow that seems unlikely.

Reply to
John McGaw

The only thing keeping me from doing as you say is that the boot is also securely fastened to the lip of the center console. So I can't see 'inside' the boot to see how it is fastened to the knob. Maybe I can ask the parts dept or as you say, look at the illustration if there is one. Thanks anyway.

*R* *H*
Reply to
Rockinghorse Winner