Sub-dash modifications?

True, but such features also require an expensive mobile data plan to receive the "real-time" updates (usually, some models I believe do use old-fashioned radio-type signals), unlike a paper map and using your own eyes to read signs. :-)

Reply to
Your Name

Actual GPS has been around for a long time ... but most people use the term when they really mean a navigation device, which is a different thing entirely (although it does use GPS to know where it is).

I'm still using my 15 year old computer everyday for both my own business and leisure uses. I did add a 120GB hard drive to accompany the original

4GB, upgraded the RAM to 288MB (originally 32MB I think), and upgraded the operating system to Mac OS X 10.1 (which itself is around 12 years old) ... but it's still the original 266MHz PowerPC G3 chip. :-)

Yep, that's another the issue with these built-in gimmicky devices. AS well as usually being custom-made, they're out of date even before you finish signing the paperwork to purchase a brand new car, and difficult and expesnive (if not practically impossible) to properly replace.

Reply to
Your Name

The GPS constellation became fully operational just under 20 years ago, but until 2000, when Selective Availability was turned off, the system wasn't much use to consumers, because the margin of error on one's location was up to 300 feet. (Military GPS receivers were able to compensate for SA.)

Patty

Reply to
Patty Winter

There are different traffic options and if you want real time you will have to have a subscription:

The one I have with receiver built into charger puts in current detours but will not tell you how crowded the road is as with a subscription.

Beauty of the Garmin LMT units is that once bought there are no extra costs. Only if I were on different roads full time like a truck driver would I have a subscription service myself.

Reply to
Frank

I was curious about your comments and crossposted to a.s.g.garmin for comment and got this response:

Reply to
Frank

Ooh! That's harsh.

He appears to be right. My memory paid a trick on me there.

The last maps they made for the 2610 were issued in 2009, which means the data were something older. Where I live, they were getting obsolete by 2011 and I left the Garmin in the car when I sold it.

Call it six years after the introduction of

Maybe they aren't doing much construction where you live, but without a current map you can't find your way on or off the Washington Beltway here in Virginia. If you're going to depend on road signs why bother to have a GPS? Your friend is probably the kind who reads the road map while barreling along the Interstate.

Reply to
John Varela

Maybe you should ask for your money back. ;-) (It's "played a trick".)

Reply to
Your Name

You can see all the comments I got cross posting question in the Garmin group. Someone pointed out that it could happen with my Nuvi 1450LMT unit. About 4 editions of updated maps are put out annually. I've only updated my unit once or twice in ~2 years as updates take all night and a late night glitch in internet service can mess it up. Still you can buy a new Garmin with lifetime maps and traffic for less than $150. Mistake to buy the most expensive units or one built into the car unless you have money to burn.

Maps don't do a lot of good when you're on the road by yourself in traffic. I seldom use my gps but it is a nice security item to have when in situations like this.

Reply to
Frank

TomTom also comes with forever maps now. I update regularly because things do change around here.

I use mine a lot. Not for driving to familiar places, of course, but when going for example to a golf course that I visit once a year or less, or to a restaurant that I've never been to before.

The GPS usually wants to send me on the road with the highest speed limit when, what with lights and congestion, I know a better way. Not necessarily faster, but better. So the way I often use it is to turn it on and then ignore it until I have self-navigated to within about a mile of the destination and then let it take me to the spot.

However, it has on occasion shown me a better route than I had found for myself, so once in a while I do let the lady in the box direct me.

Reply to
John Varela