subaru or saab?

What should i choise?

snipped-for-privacy@booomail.com

Reply to
eliza lace

What are your criteria?

I just switched from Saab to Subaru. I owned three Saabs over 14 years. I might be able to help make a comparison if you say what you're after.

Tom Reingold Noo Joizy

Reply to
Tom Reingold

Depends what you are after. We've owned two Saabs (two 900s) and two Subarus (GL and Impreza - still own the impreza).

I found the Subarus a lot more reliable. They are cheaper and easier to maintain but a little boring to drive, imo. Subarus are much better in snow, though.

Remco

Reply to
Remco

eliza lace wrote in news:1bed0$42ce961d$d99c5301 $ snipped-for-privacy@allthenewsgroups.com:

Saab 9-2X? it's a Subaru with some Saab touches. Apparently they aren't selling too well so you should be able to get a good price and they have a better warranty than the Subaru. More info here:

Fuzzy Logic

Whichever comes with a spell checker ;) Frank

Reply to
Frank Logullo

Good friends of mine just picked up the Saab 9-2x, aka the "Saabaru" and are quite pleased with it. They just got a much better deal from the Saab dealer, so even though they slightly preferred the Subaru version, the pricing won them over.

-Matt

Reply to
Hallraker

Both GM owned. Saab is becoming more GM or Saburu like, depending on the model. The new Saab SUV is just a dressed up GM model at a much higher (2x) price.

Reply to
Moon Guy

Reply to
Edward Hayes

It's 20% now? -Danny

Reply to
Danny Russell

I owned three Saabs, from 1991 through 2003. They were models from 1987,

1986, and 1995.

Saab has already been reverse-Midased, as far as I'm concerned. GM fired all its designers and engineers, after promising not to do that. I'm done with Saabs. I'm pissed.

There was an interesting public radio story a few weeks ago, comparing Saab and Subaru. They said that Saab buyers were a niche, but not big enough to keep a brand alive. By contrast, it said, Subaru is big enough, as long as it keeps itself uniquely defined. Time will tell.

What attributes (or combination thereof) are unique to Subaru? Well, to start, there's the full time all wheel drive throughout the model line. There's the boxer engine. What else?

Tom

Reply to
Tom Reingold

Another unique feature to Subaru is the consistent, constant availability of the wagon models (Toyota and Honda stopped theirs for a while, for example).

Reply to
KLS

Yeah, the wagons seem to be a lot more popular than the sedans. That's another reason I gave up on Saab. Because they gave up on the hatchback. I can't imagine owning a car that is neither a hatchback nor a wagon.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Reingold

Parking light switch on top of steering column!

;^)

Carl

Tom Re> Edward Hayes wrote:

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Full sized spare tire included.

Unfortunmately an increasing number of vehicles no longer have a spare well to take a full sized spare, much less install one. This inadequate spare wheel well doesn't meet my requiremets, so many vehicles drop off my short list before I even sit in them. >:)

Reply to
Moon Guy

That wasn't exactly true on my '01 OBW.

The spare was full _height_, but much narrower than the other tires. It was also a limited use, low speed tire. I really doubt that a tire and wheel matching the other four would have fit in the well with the organizer tray in place.

The car was a 5 speed, so with a no way to disable AWD, a mini-donut would have been unacceptable.

Reply to
B a r r y

This isn't true of my 1998 Subaru Outback Sport -- the spare was one of the temporary use only abominations. I replaced it with a full-service spare, but that means giving up significant trunk space.

Has that changed?

-- Catherine Hampton Home Page * The SpamBouncer *

(Please use this address for replies -- the address in my header is a spam trap.)

Reply to
Catherine Hampton

In article , Moon Guy wrote: (snip)

(snip)

My '04 STi doesn't have a full-sized spare. What spare it has, I'm not sure - I've never needed to use it - but it's certainly different and smaller. It does come with tire iron and jack, at least, but I don't think a full-sized spare would fit in the well in the bottom of the trunk.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Carroll

Interesting that so many Subaru models also don't have a full sized wheel compartment. I was thinking of the Forester which my friend has. The Forester I saw a few months ago had a full sized spare as does my friends '99- I believe that's the YR. A few years ago he was saved by the full sized spare when he got a bad flat on a logging road 100 miles from service. An Aussie friend just visited me and told me a spare the same as the tires on the vehicle is a legal requirement down there.

Reply to
Someone HateSpam

My 1985 has a full-size spare *in the engine compartment*. It came with a T-tire but when I bough a full-size wheel and tire it dropped right in.

Spare well? We don' need no steenking spare well!!

Reply to
Guy Macon

That's why I junked the "temporary use only" thingie and bought a steel wheel and full-service spare tire. A TUO tire is fine for those who drive almost entirely on paved roads, and never more than (say) forty miles from the nearest tire replacement facility. Like a lot of you, though, I drive a Subaru for a reason. I'm quite familiar with old, 4WD/AWD only roads in the Los Padres National Forest and Sierras here in California, and tolerably familiar with such roads all over the U.S. west. And TUO tires require disabling AWD and are not fit for use off-road or on roads that bad.

So I use the wheel well for other things, and sacrifice perhaps a quarter of my trunk space to a real spare. I wish I didn't have to, and if there's a way to get a Subaru that doesn't have this flaw when I get my next car, I'll take it.

I'm tempted to go shopping for my next Subie down there.