Subaru Prices.

About half of the heating elements in my heated rear windscreen have=20 stopped working in my 97 Outback. Out of curiosity I phoned Autoglass=20 (UK) for a quote for a replacement windscreen. After the nice gentleman =

took all my details he asked me was I seated. To my surprise he quoted=20 =A32000, yes "=A32000". Has anyone in the UK had this replaced at a chea= per=20 price and if so where.=20 Has anyone ever used the silver conductive paint and did it work.

Regards Ian Donaldson

Newtownards Northern Ireland snipped-for-privacy@dsd-tech.net

Reply to
Ian Donaldson
£2G? He's having a laugh. I'd check with a Subaru dealer. Maplin sell conductive paint. It works
Reply to
Clive

The rear glass in these is a horrible pain in the a__ to replace; far easier to find a used hatch at a salvage yard and replace the whole thing. Hatch: $150 - $200 Labor: 2-3 hours. DIY: The worst part is feeding the wiring harness down the "D" pillar. Once you remove the plastic clip-sockets, it's not too bad, but you have to be careful not to peel off insulation on sharp edges. Helps to have an assistant while lifting off the old hatch and fitting the new. It takes a fair bit of extra work to swap lock cylinders; you'll have to decide how important this is vs having two keys.

That said, the conductive paint repair kits work just fine as long as you follow the instructions carefully. Surfaces must be squeaky-clean, and you must be down to conductive ribbon where the patch is being applied. For $10 and an hour or so's work, I'd at least _try_ this route first. A continuity tester / ohmmeter will prove helpful.

ByeBye! S. Steve Jernigan KG0MB Laboratory Manager Microelectronics Research University of Colorado (719) 262-3101