UK '89 Bluebird timing chain tensioner Torx bolt size?

Hi,

still struggling to get the head off my '89 Bluebird.

My current problem is that the bolts which hold the timing chain tensioner on (appear to) have internal Torx heads.

As usual, the Haynes manual doesn't show the size.

I am currently shuttling back and forth between the car and the tool shop trying various sizes (Halfords allow you to refund the tools if they are the wrong size) and I have established that TX40 is too small and TX50 is too large.

Halfords don't do a size between TX40 and TX50 and the sets seem to be a bit selective over what sizes they include.

e.g. I found on online which included TX40, TX45, TX47, TX50.

All very well, but what about all the intermediate sizes?

Anyone know what size these bolts are?

Or an online resource which can tell you?

I will try ringing the main dealer on Monday, but I don't know if they are good hearted enough to give out this kind of information to people who are doing their own servicing :-)

TIA

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Further looking for tools:

58 shows Torx in 'E' sizes.

57 shows Torx in 'T' sizes.

What the flock is going on?

Confused.

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

The main dealer eventually told me (from the service mechanics) that it was an Allen Key (hex socket) either 5mm or 6mm.

Strangely, neither of these fitted but a Torx T45 seems to fit O.K.

Have now loosened one bolt, but my 3/8" drive ratchet wouldn't shift the other so I had to go and get a 3/8" to 1/2" adapter so I can use the big bars on it.

Hopefully it will shift.

At this rate a one day job will take about a month.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts