What to do with 1999 Forester Recall?

Hi, I could use some advice. I have a 1999 Subaru Forester basic model and I live in Mpls, MN, USA. There have been two recalls against my Forester. One recall is for fixing the changing idling speed. I guess the idle problem of slightly changing RPMs while idling is/was a concern from the factory and they wanted to fix it. Mine doesn't seem to have that problem

The other recall is for the coolant change and the protectant additive that is suppose to prevent head gasket leak or blow out.

I have not had either of these fixes applied. My Forester has 40K miles on it and has had no coolant leaks or otherwise.

The big question is do I need to have the Subaru people fix something that appears not to be broken - coolant additive? Or, can I put in the additive myself?

Par of my issue is that I usually do my own maintenance and don't really trust other service people. Heck they could mess up something worse than it is now.

Can you give some suggestions or added wisdom to my above two recalls and what to do about them?

Thanks much,

-Jim

Reply to
Jim Knoll

Get the recalls done at the dealer, especially the coolant additive. The problem it solves is expensive, and having the work done will guarantee to

80,000 miles. This is a total no-brainer.
Reply to
Alan

Thanks for the advice...

-Jim