windows rattling

Question: What do you fellow Subaru drivers do about those frameless, half-opened windows banging around in the doors when these are closed with too much verve?

[Except screaming at the passengers, which I don't do because I don't like to admit how much it annoys me...]

Florian

Reply to
Florian Feuser /FFF/

This is my BIGGEST complaint about Subaru. Frameless windows were a "big thing" on GM cars that were made in the 70's and it BOGGLES my mind why Subaru desigened their windows this way, it makes no sense, were they trying to cut costs? As for noise I drive with them fully open or 1" open. If I know I'm going to drive a while I wedge rectangular pieces of foam rubber cut from an old mousepad inside between the window glass and door panel to cut the vibration. (next time I'll make the better choice and buy a Honda or a Kia instead of a Subaru, it's little things like this that put them DEAD LAST in popularity among the Japanese automakers)

Reply to
Cathy7003

There is a tension adjustment to firm up the windows so they fit tighter. I have not had a problem with a window yet. I live in a hot climate so I expect my door seals to wear out sometime soon.

Reply to
Henry Paul

I just fixed it on my car: Each window is guided by 4 velvet covered pads, 2 in front and 2 in the back. What I did was:

- remove the door panel (3 screws on each, one in the armrest, one behind the handle and one behind the switches, and a bunch of panel clips),

- lower the window,

- remove the outer rubber rail thing (have to remove one (front) or 2 (rear) screws holding it),

- unscrew the inner pads and pull them up then carefully (otherwise they fall in the door) remove the outer ones,

- clean all 4 pads,

- put the outer pads back in then put the inner ones back in and adjust so that, with the window 1 inch down the window is pressed against the pad when applying about 10 pounds pressure to the top of the glass (last bit taken from service manual...).

Good luck.

Nicolas

Reply to
Nicolas Dore

Reply to
null

I do the same. I have 100k on mine with no problems so far. I don't like touching the glass for a more vain reason though, I don't like to get finger prints all over the glass. :-)

Reply to
Henry Paul