1996 Explorer Both Front Power Windows Not Working

I read all the postings on this newsgroup that I could find on power window problems and followed links to Explorer fix-it websites but I seem to have a problem that was not covered in the other posts as best I can tell. My 1996 Explorer XLT w/ 140K miles is having a problem with both front door power windows. Both rear power windows work normally. The fact that both front windows are exhibiting the same problem leads me to suspect there is a common control problem vs. gears, tracks, etc.

Here's what's happening. When the window control switch for either front door is put in the down position the window motor will start cycling (sounds like it cycles between up and down but I don't know this for sure) and there is an associated banging noise as if linkage is moving. The window glass can be seen moving slightly against some kind of motor pressure but it does not roll down. For the driver's side, this engages the AUTO down function and the window motor cycling and banging noise carries on for about 5 seconds and eventually stops. The passenger door cycles and bangs only when the switch is held in the down position. When the up switch is pressed for either front door the window motors cycle until the switch is released. When the rear window switches are put in the up position with the window up the motors do not engage, so the problem with the front doors seems to be in both directions. Both front windows exhibit the same symptoms and started doing this at the same time. Fortunately they are both in the up position. I've seen references to a "regulator" and "relay" in power window problem posts and am wondering if the failure of one of those parts could produce these symptoms.

Addl info: I've had problems in the past with the round connector in the driver's door jam that carries the wire bundle from the car to the door. I've found a few bad wires (door lock, door illumination) that I had to scab around the round connector to restore the signal. Could it be there is some kind of sense signal between switch and door motor/regulator that is not there due to a bad wire?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide. I'd really like to get these windows working again.

B Thomson

Reply to
BT