Side Windows in Jeep Wangler

Hi, I'm very new to Jeeps but I want to own one, I have a few questions though. I was at the Jeep wrangler website and saw that some of the models had cloth for the side window and frame, can these cloth sides be folded down? Can the models with the metal frame and glass window sides also be folded down? Do any of the Jeeps models come with automatic gear shift? Or are they all manual? Is it easy to put the front window down? what speeds can you safely drive with the front window down?

Reply to
Anthony Page

The different doors you saw are the half doors and the full doors. The full doors work just like any door, you roll the window down. The half doors are just that, half of the door without the window. they come with "cloth" windows that you can unzip and fold down. Wranglers do come in automatic. Im not sure if its easy to put down the windshield because I never have but im sure its quite easy. I never really had the urge to put down the windshield because once you start going pretty much any real speed, the wind gets unbearable (or so i hear). I dont know of really anyone who puts theirs down at all, and i know a lot of jeepers.

Brett

Reply to
Brett Little

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Tony, There are two ways to have a top on a Wrangler (we use TJ to refer to these models), you can have a hard top and you can have a soft top, OR you can have both - this is the Dual Top option. If you get the hard top, you will get Full Doors, if you get the soft top you can get either Full Doors of Half Doors. With the Dual Top, you will get the Full Doors.

My personal preference is for the Full Doors, ONLY because the zipper windows that come with the Half Doors are a pain in the ass at the drive-up window. Also, if you get full doors, then you can get half doors later from a variety of aftermarket sources, but if you get half doors from the factory, finding full doors later is very difficult. Since the doors can be taken off for Summer, and for offroad driving, then it is also true that you can swap them around for different needs.

The Hard Top can be removed easily. There are a couple of bolts along each side, and maybe a connector or two for lights, and then two guys can simply lift the top off and set it on the ground.

The Soft Top has windows that are held in by zippers. You can remove them and then fold the top down into the space behind the back seat and the tailgate.

The hard top is molded fiberglass, actually it is different material, but this works for this explanation, and the windows are glass. The rear window opens upward and the tailgate can be opened to get into the back. The spare tire is on a swing-away carrier that must be opened first. The soft top gets windows that are zippered in place. The rear window can be unzipped and rolled up and is held out of the way by a pair of elastic straps. The side windows can be carefully rolled into a tube and stored in the space behind the seat before the rest of the top is lowered. The soft top has a metal frame.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

The windows on the half-doors can be completely removed -- the video that comes with the owners manual shows that the canvas and vinyl is attached to a wire frame that sits on top of the door. The window can also be unzipped, like the rear windows, while the frame is still on the door.

No. The window does roll down just like any other vehicle with a frame around the window.

The doors are interchangeable, so if you change your mind later you can buy a pair of the other style door and switch them. Note that rolling down the window on the full door isn't the same as removing the window on the half-door: the full door is cut higher and the window frame is sill there.

The automatic is an $800 option. I like my 6-speed :-).

According to the manual, you simply remove the wiper arms (no tools needed, just slide a clip) then remove two torx bolts. A strap is provided to secure the windshield to the hood.

I fully intend to lower my windshield when summer comes around! (I bought mine this winter)

Low speeds! The manual says something like 20 mph, IIRC. I suppose it wouldn't be a bad idea to wear the goggles they used to wear with roadsters back in the 20's, or at least have sunglasses on.

The Wrangler is a fun vehicle to drive with plenty of options and built-in simplicity of design.

-D

Reply to
Derrick Hudson

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

never had you down as an Austin Healey man, Bill. What model did you have ? They cost a fortune now.

Dave Milne

It is illegal in California to drive with the windshield down. The law is very clear on this.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Really? Too bad, it is a blast!

Up here in Ontario Canada, the law says you have to have a working wiper and no obstructions..... Don't say crap about having glass there....

I have had her up to about 50 mph on a beer run from a trail camp. That was fast enough, the front end just whips the wind at you.

Mike

Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

nice, both of them.

Dave Milne

"Jeff Strickland" wrote in news:oNOdndewNI snipped-for-privacy@ez2.net:

Excuse my ignorence but what does TJ stand for? Also whats the price range for after market half doors? Are there any people selling used half doors often?

Reply to
Anthony Page

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

The various models of Jeep have a two-letter nomenclature that helps identify them (well, most of them are two letters, anyway). For example, all the short wheelbase vehicles built from 87-current are called "Wrangler", but there are actually two different models - the YJ (with square headlights and leaf springs) and the TJ (with round headlights and coil springs). Parts are often not interchangeable between models, so it's generally easier to refer to a vehicle by its model ID.

Check out

and
Tirya '99 TJ Sahara

-- TDC Inca Jeeper A girl and her Jeep... it's a beautiful thing...

Reply to
Tirya

Damm i should have keep my 81 Renault 5 ( LE CAR ) LOL

"Dave Milne" a écrit dans le message de news: oWSMd.7653$ snipped-for-privacy@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...

Reply to
Patrick

Its rusting in big car graveyard in the sky next to my Vauxhall Chevette and practically everything built by British Leyland :-)

Dave Milne

It was explained to my brother and I that an "adequate windshield" did not include a windshield that was lowered.

If the windshield only had to be "in or on" the car, then it would be "adequate" if it was in the back seat. The windshield has to be up. Consider that you haven't been ticketed as a bonus, not as an intended consequence of ambiguity.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

The open-top Jeeps are CJ for those built in the '60s thru '87, the YJ is the years from '88 thru '95, there is no '96, and the TJ covers the years from '97 to present.

CJ, YJ, and TJ are factory model designations. Back in the olden days, CJ was assumed to mean "Civilian Jeep" to differeniate it from the military versions. Except for this assumption, there is no particular meaning to the model designations.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

cj goes to 86 87-95 is yj

Reply to