$16 a gallon Prestone antifreeze

My BIL used to get his tires there, and anything that wasn't covered by Honda fixed there.

I kind of got the impression it was a shade better then Pep Boys, but not quite up to Sears.

I only went there when I was in a pinch up there.

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

We don't even have them around here anymore.

Actually, I used to go to Western Auto a LOT, because before I got my license, oh, a *few* years ago it was the best place to go for bicycle parts.

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

you think you gotit bad! My first hdd, 32Mb, $499!

I had a friend that had an Altair and he added a 10Mb drive for $1,000. Figured it'd take him his whole lifetime to fill it up! :)

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

I know this is the problem, also the stuff doesn't work as well as conventional coolants. It's ONLY feature is being less toxic to animals.

Most fire equipment built use a centrifugal pump as the main pump. They are great pumps and can flow a LOT of water (2000 GPM is a small pump these days) BUT they cannot self prime. So you use a small positive displacement type pump to pull the air out of the main pump housing. Once it has water over the inlet on the impeller they will pump.

The most common design is a vane style that is basically a modified vacuum pump powered by a modified starter motor. Because of the way they operate they need lube to keep the vanes from wearing/burning up. 99% of them are set up with a simple open pipe discharge because once the air is out of the pump housing they start dumping water. Most use a version of vacuum pump or air tool oil as lube.

The Sierra is supposed to eliminate the oil problem and be non-toxic. However it doesn't lube as well and it has also caused stuck vanes and locked primers due to the additive package.

The newest units use a venturi type that is powered by the trucks air system, these don't use oil BUT there have also been a lot of problems when a chunk of dirt/crud gets into the venturi.

Reply to
Steve W.

It's the main ingredient in Paul Masson wine.

How about Mazola? It's non-toxic (although it turns out those trans-fats are bad for you), and it's reasonably effective as a lubricant although it breaks down pretty quickly under shear.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

I am looking at an O'Reilly's snail mail flyer right now.Buy One Get One Free. $11.99 Peak Pre-Mix Long Life Coolant.Limit 6 Free Units.Prices effective September 1 - 28,2010 cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

For $11.99 hit up Walmart.

Reply to
Airport Shuttle

Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B wrote in news:i63edv$a2d$ snipped-for-privacy@tioat.net:

Well they could only *have* 64K of memory. That computer would be worth some serious coin in working order now IMHO.

Reply to
chuckcar

I still have my collection of computers from the past. IIRC there are two Altair 8800s (one with all the optional boards), Couple of Sinclairs (ZX-80 and QL) , a Sharp pocket PC, couple of VIC 20s, a Commodore 64, At least one Coleco ADAM (same company that made the Cabbage Patch kids)unit. Used to have a couple Apple IIs and a Lisa. Those went to a museum. Still have an old IBM PC and I think an XT still in the attic.

Reply to
Steve W.

"Steve W." wrote in news:i6641i$91h$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

The Lisa would be worth something I'd think. The others are obiquitious, but a 10,000 word processor from the 70's would be *rare*. Esp. as it was the experiment that led to the first Mac.

Reply to
chuckcar

Apple II? the old ones that look like a little square tv set? I have two of them.I bought them cheap at a Goodwill store years ago. Cheap Charlie cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

He has an IMSAI 8080, in the box, in the original shrink wrap...!

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3173.bay.webtv.net:

No, The Apple II looked like a white wedge that someone messed up. Sort of like the later Commodore Amiga if you've seen those. I still have a

*really* old magazine with an add for the Apple I in it - it was a single PC board with a hex keypad and a led numeric display on it.

chuckcar

Where did you get it? Gas station? Auto parts store? Both mark up coolant way too much. go to walmart or other such place where it will be considerably less.

Reply to
Brent

Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B wrote in news:i66cb9$3o1$ snipped-for-privacy@tioat.net:

I have no idea of that would mean anything for value. I'm still stuck on what figuring out what my 1970's hot wheels are worth.

Reply to
chuckcar

At Advance Prestone on sale for $8.99 and 50/50 is $7.99.

Reply to
Airport Shuttle

On the web, Big Lots Antifreeze

And you might check Family Dollar Stores, and similar stores.

How to make Antie (Auntie) freeze.Hide her underwear. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

"Airport Shuttle" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@no-mx.forums.travel.com...

If a person is too dumb to add 50% water to the concentrate, then the 50/50 is probably just up his alley.

Heck, the baby can eat next week...

Reply to
hls