1969 chevrolet c10 pickup with 4 speed clutch problems.

I was wondering if someone here would know what is wrong with the clutch, or if any adjustments are needed. The problem I have is that the clutch only comes up almost half way back from the floor. It doesn't come all the way up, unless you put your foot behind the pedal, and pull it back up.

The real problem is, it doesn't start to catch until about halfway to

3/4 of the way down, making it impossible to shift gears or put it into a gear without it grinding.

I'm new to clutches so hopefully someone can help.

Reply to
mechjames

To much free play could mean the clutch linkage needs adjusted and/or the return spring may be missing. Could be the linkage is binding/rubbing on something. I've seen the cab mounts rusted, causing the cab to drop and making the floor rub against the the pedal rod that goes through the floor. Could be the wrong length throw out bearing. Old Chebbies/GM's had three different length throw out bearings that could be used. Could be the flywheel has been turned to many times and and is now to thin, throwing everything off.

Reply to
dahpater

if the return spring is missing, would this cause the clutch to only start to engage (the friction point) after the pedal is 3/4 of the way down?

how do you go about adjusting the free play in the clutch linkage?

Reply to
mechjames

No. It will cause the pedal to "not come up all the way"once the clutch is adjusted properly.

There will be a rod with threads and a locking nut on it, down at the bell housing and trans, on the drivers side. One end will be at the throw out bearing fork, (part sticking out of the bell housing), and the other end will go to the cross over bar. Make the rod longer for less "clutch pedal free play". (free play=easy pedal movement before the pedal gets hard to push) You want about a 1/2" off free play.

Reply to
dahpater