1983 Dodge van,

I bought last October.Looks to me like it has a catalytic converter.I don't know how old that converters is, (I am the second owner of the van) but I want to replace it with a straight through flow pipe.Who sells such a pipe? Perhaps,

? cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

why bother? The additional flow isn't likely going to change the performance of a full size van in any big way.

Reply to
Brent

Auto parts stores I deal with used to sell a "Test Pipe". They were a direct fit for a converter for each application. They're not around much anymore. Go to a shop that has a "pipe bender" and have one made. And remember, it is for "test purposes" only! lol

Reply to
thenitedude

Um, what if it's clogged?!?!

Reply to
thenitedude

Historically, the OP has demonstrated to be more inclined to $hit-can a part because he doesn't understand it, not because it isn't performing properly.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

I know the Raison d'Entre for catalytic converters.I looked on the net for, How to test a catalytic converter.(devilfinder.com)

Doesn't matter to me if that catalytic converter is plugged or not, it is coming off of there anyway.I will drive my van to a local muffler shop and get a tube made to replace that catalytic converter.I won't throw it away though, I will put it in my storage shed and let it sit there. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

I bought a 1983 Dodge van last October. Looks like it has a catalytic converter. I want to replace it with a straight through flow pipe. Who sells such a pipe? Cuhulin. ___________________________________________________________

Why bother? The additional flow isn't likely going to change the performance of a full size van in any big way. Brent. ___________________________________________________________ What if it's clogged?!?! thenitedude. ____________________________________________________________

Historically, the OP has demonstrated to be more inclined to $hit-can a part because he doesn't understand it, not because it isn't performing properly. aarcuda69062. _____________________________________________________________

It don't hurt the runnin' of it none (after a fender fell off). Jeeter Lester, Tobacco Road 1941.

Reply to
Rodan

The "local muffler shop" will not do that work. It is a violation of federal law. It falls under "tampering with the emissions controls"

The reason why you don't see "test pipes' sold any longer is because of this little law. Get caught with one on that van and I hope you have deep pockets.

Of course none of that applies to you, you're special and don't need to follow those pesky laws.

Reply to
Steve W.

J.C.Whitney used to sell them.... called "test pipes"....

Reply to
bobj

You gotta watch for the tail pipe cops! Around here they sit on highway exit ramps with some kind of a portable sniffer looking for tailpipe emissions and they nail people somehow...

Because I don't legally need a cat on my Utility vehicle, I don't bother putting one on and it still can pass emissions with low numbers.

I have however run into these muffler shops that use American software that insists my Jeep needs a cat so they are lost when I want a front pipe. They can't figure out how to make a straight pipe because the computer doesn't tell them how.... I have had to put up with a band-aid pipe in the hole.

Finally I just ran into one auto store parts guy with more than a grade one IQ and he just looked up an older model of my vehicle that didn't come with a cat, even in the US, and sold me that front pipe. Works perfect!

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 'New' frame in the works for '09. Some Canadian Bush Trip and Build Photos:
Mike Romain

Really? What were the instructions for 'testing' a catalytic converter?

If it's not plugged, what do you hope to accomplish?

What gives you the right to foul the air?

You might as well scrap it then since it can never be reinstalled. If caught, you can also figure on replacing the fuel tank since the default assumption is that you put leaded gas in the fuel tank and it is now contaminated.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Around here, we don't worry about ''test pipe'' cops.Around laid back around here, you can drive around in most any kind of old wrecks.I wouldn't want it any other way. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Um, not counting Cam II, where is it you can buy "leaded gas"?!?!

Reply to
thenitedude

I don't think leaded gas is available around here. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Howsomever, over the years since 1941, I have probally ingested enough lead, I am a lost cause.I used to work at an auto/truck battery factory (that old factory closed down years ago) in Florence,Mississippi. I Love you, Joyce. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

You have to Nip it!,,, Andy,,, Nip it in the Bud!

PeopleStories.

Waymarking.com Pacific Missouri cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

When I was at SL 60, about eight miles from Pacific,Missouri (Missouriahh) that is where I owned my first car, 1950 Dodge.I bought it for $75.00 at a used car lot in Saint Louis.

(1964, me eight years older brother and meself were over there in 1964.I once caught the Chaplin Run one Sunday to go visit him)
Page Three, tain A new U.S.Navy Ship was launched today, or yesterday, CVN 77.I Respect the Ship, I do NOT respect any and all politicians, PERIOD! I am a little bit drunk now, and I am ranting.It's raining outside right now. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Since 1983, thousands of gas stations.

Reply to