1987(?) Crown Vic Back window shattered after driving over median!

Friend of mine's 87 Vic was speeding through strip mall parking lot he was not familiar with after dark. I was in the back seat with four other people, three more in front including this guy. We must have jumped this island or median at least 30mph, rear end hopped up and came down so hard three of us in the back seat hit our heads in the ceiling. The back window shattered, beads of glass in our hair, on the rear shelf, all over the seat and the floor!

We were able to make it to the road and to a McDonalds parking lot where we borrowed one of the restaurant's dust pans to sweep up as much broken glass as possible, then grabs some bites. Back on the highway it felt like we were going to be sucked out the open rear window! Later on we noticed a doming of the car roof, right hand side above the backseat where this really tall dude was sitting, like 6' 7". Must've hit that ceiling hard.

Question: Is it possible for a vehicle to drive over something fast enough to flex the body and pop out a window like that??

Reply to
thekmanrocks

Not many years ago the guy who used to advertize Oxydol on TV commercials, he bumped his head real hard on the ceiling of an Airplane. It wasen't much later on that he died. That guy who bumped his head real hard in that 1987 Crown Vic car, he probally should see a Doctor.

Reply to
JR

, he bumped his head real hard on the ceiling of an Airplane. It wasen't mu ch later on that he died. That guy who bumped his head real hard in that 19

87 Crown Vic car, he probally should see a Doctor.

mmmm... That's why flight crews frequently suggest keeping your lap belt loosely fastened when seated. Backseat passengers in cars seem to think they are immune to such dynamics.

Reply to
thekmanrocks

Definitely. Sounds like that's what happened.

Better check the tires. At least the front ones They could be out-of-roun d due to belt breakage. I did this to couple of tires once, by running int o the edge of a concrete parking area which didn't have a ramp leading up t o it. The damage wasn't immediately visible.

You might also see frame damage. Check alignment between body panels, and inspect the suspension in general. There are rubber blocks to guard agains t the suspension bottoming out, which I can almost guarantee happened, base d on the description. It being a very old car, those rubber blocks may not be in the best shape.

Check the engine mounts & any exhaust system hangers too. Again, with a ca r that old, the rubber will have lost much of its elasticity and strength. One or more may have let go.

The roof is laughably weak sheetmetal in all but cop cars (those usually ha ve reinforcement due to the lights & stuff), so could probably be bent back in shape pretty easily. If that and the rear window are the only damage t o the car, your buddy got lucky.

Reply to
Jc Maxwell

I think you just answered your own question.

I'd check the suspension pretty carefully too after something like that.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

I would tell you that it's not possible but you'd never believe me.

Reply to
dsi1

Summertime of 1992 I visited Mexico for five days when I was on a vacation. Somewhere in Mexico I was doing about 35 miles per hour. There was a big s peed bump just before a bridge and it was totally dark night time. I didn't even see that big speed bump,,,, WHAM! Fortunately it didn't damage my 197

8 Dodge van. When I got back home I took my van to a line up shop. The old van's front end had been needing an alinghment check up anyway. I Garantee, if you go to Mexico Watch Out for those speed bumps.
Reply to
JR

dsi1 wrote in news:nb4pie$4qh$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

It is very possible, much more likely if its an uneven hit, but it happens all the time. just ask a body shop. not as common as in the 80s but it most certianly can happen. KB PS it more likely just popped the glue holding it in.

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff

Well, it was a rather old design. Probably not enough body stiffness, even though the cops used the Crown Vic as a battering ram sometimes.

Reply to
pedro1492