1990 Mitsubishi Montero will not start

Hey all,

I have a 1990 Mitsubishi Montero Sport that I am watching for someone who is deployed. I start it every month or so but otherwise do not bother with it. This last month it wouldnt start. I jumped the battery (which worked) but now when I attempt to start it there is a rapid "clicking" sound. Can anyone tell me what that is and how to fix it, or at least where to start looking for problems. I havent done auto maintenance since the early '80s.

Shenzai

Reply to
Shenzai

Approximately 9/29/03 18:13, Shenzai uttered for posterity:

The thing has a steady battery drain even with the key off. The fix is to start and drive it more often, say once a week.

If the battery got too low, it may not be chargeable with the alternator until it has at least some charge.

You can try unhooking the battery and then charge it by using your jumper cables for a longer period.... if that doesn't work, the battery itself may have become defective due to non-use.

You really don't want the vehicle to set, as the fuel, engine oil, transmission oil, etc. etc. all survive a lot longer if it is driven at least far enough to heat everything up to full operating temperature... freeway being better than city streets.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

I'm trying to get an external battery charger on loan from a friend now . . . I really hope that is it.

Shenzai

Reply to
Shenzai