1990 Pontiac Firefly

I have a '90 Pontiac Firefly which is causing me some grief? It has about 162,000 kms. The other evening I changed the distributor cap, spark plug wires, and router. I was going to also change the spark plugs but when I started working on the vehicle late at night, it was then I realized the parts store forgot to throw the spark plugs in with what I purchased. If I would of had them I would of replaced them as well. I plan on picking them up this weekend. After changing router, wires and distributor cap, I checked the oil and it was good. Fired up the car, and it purred like a kitten, sounded great. Took it for a 2km ride and it ran well. It did run fine before as well, but thought I better do some maintenance.

The next day I get it the car start it, and it ran rough, proceeded to drive it and can't go anywhere past 20 km/hr. It sounds as if the exhaust is plugged, like when some stuffs a potatoe in yor tail pipe. Nedeless, to say, LOL, thats the first thing I checked, and no potatoe.

When I replaced the wires, I replaced each wire one at a time, took off the old, put on the new. Did that for all three, to make sure I put them back on in the same sequence. I even marked all of them with a felt marker to ensure I put them on correctly. I have doubled check them several times. So am I dumb founded as to what the problem may be. I am beginning to wonder if I got a bad set of wires? Is that possible?

Someone did tell me that the firing order is: 132 My only problem with that information is where is #1 in the distibutor cap. Even so, I am positive that the wired are installed the same way the old ones were installed. When I installed the router it was notched and would only go on the shaft one way, so I couldn't of gotten that wrong.

Any help, advise, suggestions and opiniond would be greatly appreciated.

I look forward to your responses. Thank you

Reply to
ostafie

If the car ran well immediately after you replaced the parts, and didn't run badly until the next morning, the problem is unrelated.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

You may want to double check all the parts that you changed...

I'm thinking that maybe one of the plug wires didn't snap on fully and came disconnected after sitting.

I'd pop each end off one by one and make sure you hear/feel a click as you snap the plug wire on.

Also make sure that the distributor cap and rotor are on nice and tight.

If it was done late at night, you might have missed something.

Scott

Reply to
450HP

Yes. Measure them with a meter and see. And make sure they are all seated properly in place, too.

Also, make sure you have the correct cap and rotor. I have had some interesting Mopar issues where they make two rotors that will fit, but only one of them actually works properly. Did you keep the old cap and rotor so you can swap them back and see if it helps?

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Thanks everyone. Well, after trouble shooting for 2 days now, I am thinking I have a fuel problem, maybe fuel pump. Looking at trying to diagnose this idea tonite.

Thanks for input from everyone!

Reply to
jayco1007