1991 Buick Park Avenue AC problem

Hi all, The AC on my 91 Buick Park Avenue shuts down after about 30 seconds. I have to reset the HVAC (hold down OFF and WARM) to get it going again. When
it shuts off, it automatically switches to the ECON mode, where you get no cold air.
What could cause this? The system is full of freon (converted to R-134 last year).
Thanks, Tony
The sytsem will switch to econ if the ac pressure sensors see incorrect pressures for low or no freon in the system, have that checked also.

-
Need to see if cmpressor is shutting off when it quits. If it does its probably building up to much high side pressure.May have to replace orfice tube. Need to put gauges on and take plug off cycling switch located on side of dryer and use cotter pin to short the switch. Compressor will run and you can see how far high and low side are going.
earnhardt31 wrote:

Sorry for the delay in replying, but I got sidetracked.
Once the system switches to ECON, the compressor clutch never comes on again. I'll check the pressures. Good idea. Thanks. Tony