1993 GMC K3500 6.5L Turbo Diesel Starting problem

Hello all,

I'm usually pretty good with this, but this problem has me stumped. My K3500 is exhibiting symptoms that I would normally attribute to a flat spot. The problem is - I've replaced the starter within the past 3 weeks (AutoZone w/ LLT Warranty), and it is exhibiting the same type of behavior.

I turn the key, and get a Click...burr sound until I turn the key back. Voltages on both batteries are good; both are within a year old. While I am driving, my AMMETER shows 14V, which is where it should be. I haven't checked the voltage across the starter yet. If it's a bad starter again, no problem...but if there's something causing this to happen to the starter, I want to fix that.

Your ideas are welcome...

Please email directly to SeanRinVA at gmail dot com

Reply to
SeanRinVA

Okay, so the starter solenoid moves, bt the starter doesn't turn or doesn't turn much.

I hope you mean voltmeter.

If the starter is turning, the voltage is fine. But the starter is not engaging. If it's a damaged flywheel, you should be able to push the vehicle in gear (assuming a manual transmission) and move the flywheel a bit.

I would not be surprised if you just got a crappy Autozone rebuild that fell apart, though. But did you check the flywheel when you replaced the starter last time?

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

I'm not clear. Was the problem there before you replaced the starter or did it occur afterward.

So the starter is turning but not engaging the flywheel. A low battery will sound much like this. Do check the batteries as indicated below out before swapping any more parts. Just because they are 1 year old does not mean they are still good.

Static voltage isn't really a good indicator. You should perform a load check.

Probably a volt meter showing 14v.

Please read on the group.

Reply to
John S.

Doubtful, since the solenoid HAS to engage the flywheel before it closes the contacts through which power is applied to the motor windings! Its probably the solenoid "chattering" an not engaging. Sounds like excessive voltage drop (same symptom as a dead battery) or a bad solenoid. It could also just be a bad connection, so that the solenoid has enough voltage to pull in, but as soon as the starter motor windings are turned on, the voltage drops and the solenoid releases, then the voltage comes back up and the cycle repeats causeing the "burrrr" sound.

Reply to
Steve

Thanks to all who responded. To answer a few questions...

The starter was not turning. Inspection of the flywheel revealed no flaws. This starter started displaying the same problem as the starter it replaced. The batteries were a little low (showing ~11.85v), so a deep charge was performed on them while I was replacing the unit. Tested both under load before and after charging, and both tested fine. The Voltmeter in the dash is what I meant. I replaced the starter with another one from AutoZone, and the truck is starting with no problems.

Sean

Steve wrote:

Reply to
SeanRinVA