1996 TOYOTA RAV4 TRANSMISSION PROBLEM

Hi Guys!

I own a 1996 Toyota Rav4 which makes a knocking sound when i shift from N t o R. I visited a local tech who suggested that the transmission was gone, so we replaced the transmission. Now reverse engages just fine but when i shift f rom N to D, it makes that knocking sound (a bang). I want to customize the car (give it a facelift) but i cant carry on before i sort out this problem . Any ideas?

Reply to
Noel

it would seem your second 17 year old transmission is just as broken as the first one....if indeed the noise was/is transmission related at all.

GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

On 06/30/2013 02:09 PM, Geoff Welsh wrote: > if indeed the noise was/is transmission related at all.

indeed.

a friend has a 98 rav4 - 360k miles, only problem he's had is a cracked exhaust manifold. i think the op needs a mechanic that knows what they're actually doing, not one who simply replaces transmissions by way of guesswork.

Reply to
jim beam

Just out of curiosity, are you saying that the transmission was working fine other then it made a noise when you shifted from N to R and you had it rebuilt because of that one noise even though it was otherwise working just fine?

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

It's a moot point on a car where engineers who were working on awd did not know what they were doing

Reply to
Brake Dive, Acceleration Squat and Body Roll Bros Suspension

Hey there, My RAV had the same problem. When I took it to the mechanic, he said it's something to do with the engine mount being a bit crummy, and the insides being slightly loose. This could be the problem with yours? The fix ended up costing me about $150 all up.

Reply to
epsilon114