2000 camaro performance problem

2000 chev camaro 3.8l standard

Our car is having problems with hard starting and erratic misses that are not being recorded on the ECM nor making the "check engine" light turn on.

The history is that I have changed the ignition module, plugs and crankshaft position sensor (for an engine shutdown problem that is now fixed). The problem is still occuring.

There are no codes stored for help.

Any ideas? I'm listening to any advice.

Thank you!

Paul

Reply to
pauls

I'd start with the obvious........Change the plug wires, and make sure you put on silicone boot grease on the top of the plugs. This *Really* helps to feel the connecter slide on and you KNOW it is making good contact. I do the same the on the distributor end.

IF no joy, I'd change out the distributor cap and rotor. If no joy, I'd get most of the gas out and pour in 3 bottle of injector cleaner. Let it run for a few minutes, then sit overnight. If it helps, then clean the injectors.

IF these tune-up tricks don't work, time to check out the smog system. EGR valve stuck? Use a vacuum line and suck on it to see if it closes. MASS sensor? O2 sensor? Temperature sensor......get a manual. IF still no joy, time to check compresssion in each cylinder, timing gear lost a tooth, belt (chain) slipped, etc?

MM^^

Reply to
Mountain Mike^^

I saw very similar symptoms last week. Checked the fuel pressure regulator and it was bad. Started & ran like new after guessing at the problem. I was in the country at a shop that had only a hand scanner and the mechanic admitted he'd tried all he knew--he just forgot to check the reg. Frankly, I had never worked on one of them before, but the symptoms generally point to the same problem across makes of cars. This was a Ford Contour by the way. Luck to you, s

Reply to
sdlomi2

Thank you for the ideas!

Thank you!