2004 Jeep Liberty

I have a 2004 Jeep Liberty and the engine is misfiring. If it was my old 2003 Ford F150, I'd know to change out a coil. Is there something similar in the engine of this model Jeep that I can change easily?
Thanks,
Mike
Michael wrote:

It uses COP units, coil on plug. Easy to change IF they are the issue. When was the last time the plugs were changed? These do not use a high mileage plug, they use a copper plug that needs to be changed every 35K or they start misfiring, If you install any of the platinum or iridium plugs they tend to mis-fire as well.
There is one copper core with platinum tip that works OK but they are hard to find.
If you have multiple mis-fires you will want to check the fuel pump output and make sure you are getting good flow.
--
Steve W.

On Wednesday, May 10, 2017 at 1:12:11 AM UTC-5, Steve W. wrote:

Thanks, Steve!
Mike
On Thursday, May 11, 2017 at 5:44:58 PM UTC-5, Michael wrote:

So I've changed the plugs and coils, but I'm still getting misfires according to the machine from Autozone. What's the next thing that I should check?
Thanks,
Mike
On 5/23/17 3:29 PM, Michael wrote:

Add a bottle of "Techron®" Fuel Injector Cleaner to the gas tank.
Michael wrote:

What were the codes that came up? Any strange noises or other problems like lower gas mileage, running hotter than normal, smell of fuel?
--
Steve W.

On Tuesday, May 23, 2017 at 8:32:31 PM UTC-5, Steve W. wrote:

Hi Steve,
Code P0306 indicates that Cylinder 6 has too many misfires within a predetermined period of time.
PO306 Cylinder 1-10 Misfire Detected P0300 P0302 P0303 P0304
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I read where it could be a bad ASD relay too, but I couldn't find one on this car. I'm going to try the fuel injector cleaner. I may try replacing the fuel injectors at some point.
Thanks,
Mike

have you at least checked your compresion??? KB
On Wednesday, May 24, 2017 at 8:47:25 AM UTC-5, Kevin Bottorff wrote:

Kevin, I don't have a compression gauge. I'm trying to do the easy and inexpensive things first before I take it to the shop.
Additional information. It runs well until I get it on the highway and get it warm. That's why it cuts out. And yes, as I walked away from the car yesterday, I did smell gasoline.
Thanks for all the help.
Mike
Michael wrote:

Check the running fuel pressure. That's a returnless system and the pumps do get weak. I see where you hear a click from a possible rocker arm. That could account for one cylinder but it wouldn't cause the random miss or 3 and 4 misses.
I would start with a fuel pressure test, then do a top cylinder cleaning as the 3.7 is prone to carbon build up.
--
Steve W.

On Wednesday, May 24, 2017 at 8:24:16 PM UTC-5, Steve W. wrote:

Thanks, Steve. Much appreciated!
Here is a video that demonstrates the sound that my Jeep is making. It could well be that it has more than one problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZU0OzhsgyQ
(2:49)
Mike
Michael wrote:

It's very possible it's tossed a rocker arm. I would start with the easy stuff first. Then pop the valve cover off and take a look if they don't improve the issue. Broken valve spring or fallen rockers are easy to spot.
--
Steve W.

On Thursday, May 25, 2017 at 7:33:57 AM UTC-5, Steve W. wrote:

Steve,
I took the valve covers off. As it turns out, it wasn't a fallen rocker arm. It was TWO fallen rocker arms on the passenger's side. The lifters are frozen solid, so I'll replace those and hope it runs for a while.
Mike
On Thursday, May 25, 2017 at 7:48:41 PM UTC-5, Michael wrote:

Hi all,
The cam lobe is on the low side where I want to install two rocker arms. What's the best way of getting the cam lobe on the high side so I can pop in the rocker arms?
Thanks,
Mike
On 5/25/17 9:49 PM, Michael wrote:

Have you cleaned the "lash adjusters" ? You may want to view this YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksrDE2zjC34

The adjusters seem to be the cause of the "fallen" rockers. Lots of other YT videos re this issue.
On Thursday, May 25, 2017 at 9:00:48 PM UTC-5, Retired wrote:

I bought a couple of new ones tonight to replace the old ones The old ones were frozen solid. I should probably change them all since I'm in there, but I'm not.
Mike
On 5/25/2017 8:49 PM, Michael wrote:

Turn the engine until the cam's in the valve closed position. (just replaced a bent pushrod last evening).
--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>
On Thursday, May 25, 2017 at 9:34:07 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:

Thanks, Andrew! Do I actually start the car or just turn the engine a little bit until they are in position?
Much appreciated.
Mike
Michael wrote:

If you pull the plugs it should be easy to turn by hand by grabbing a belt or pulley.
Michael wrote:

Pull the plugs and rotate it by hand. The 3.7 is known for dropping valve seats and rockers.
Two off would explain the codes though.
--
Steve W.