2004 Jeep Liberty

If you pull the plugs it should be easy to turn by hand by grabbing a belt or pulley.

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

Pull the plugs and rotate it by hand. The 3.7 is known for dropping valve seats and rockers.

Two off would explain the codes though.

Reply to
Steve W.

Update: After changing out the two lifters, I test drove the car for a whil e. It ran ok then rough and then lost another (different) rocker arm. So I changed out all the lifters and now it runs.

It idles well, and if I drive slowly it's ok, but if I give it any amount o f gas, I can feel it missing a little bit, but no check engine light. Also, oddly, as I'm coasting downhill without giving it gas, it feels as if it's gently dropping power every two or three seconds.

I'm going to let it almost run out of gas and run some injector cleaner in it. I hope that helps.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Mike

Reply to
Michael

  1. If you put the original coils back on, does it still do this? It's possible replacing the coils degraded performance rather than improved it.
  2. Do you get nice rock-steady marks with a timing light and are they in the right place?

I'd be more worried about the oil system getting gunked up than the injectors. Try using a high detergent synthetic oil or one of the various products sold for ungunking clogged-up engines. This likely isn't causing the missing but it's likely the cause of the original problem.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Check your fuel pressure at the rail under load. Do you have access to a scan tool that can display live data? It would show you the misfires, Jeep used a wide tolerance on the misfire counter. The downhill power loss is due to the injectors being shut down during coast.

Reply to
Steve W.

I had to get back to work, so I just took it to our mechanic. He found coolant in the plugs. He believes it needs a new head gasket (s).

Mike

Reply to
Michael