406 aircon query

car is 1996 406 2.0ltr petrol turbo executive manual

recently purchased this car and have noticed a small pool of water under neath the car shortly after parking it up, is this related to the aircon or is leakage from the cat, have heard deal this happens with aircon cars any help much appreciated

Reply to
Stuart Bryce

If your weather has been warm, and the air conditioning was running, then that's probably exactly what it is. My Chrysler with some of its temperature controls activates the air conditioning when I'm not even aware of it sometimes (maybe so that the seals in the A/C get some periodic usage and don't dry out). If any moisture was being generated because of the catalytic converter, you would most likely see it coming out the tail pipe, not under the car. Unless you have holes in your tailpipe/exhaust system. I have also had water run off the frame of the car more than a day after driving on wet streets. In any case, if it is clear, odorless water it should be of no concern. M.B.

Reply to
M.Burns

Yes. If you were to lift the hood before shutting the engine off, you'll see part of the AC system (hose) will be iced up. When you shut off the engine, this melts leaving a little pool of water.

Reply to
bkapaun

the water is from the evaporator ( inside the car) the evaporator takes the moisture from the interior of the car and this moisture is collected in a tray and runs down a tube and onto the road under the car, its normal. However when the tube becomes blocked the water stagnates and allows bacteria to form. this gives a musty odour in the car. so keep the tube clear.

Reply to
kingarthur