5.0 problem

my son bought a 1988 lincoln t.c. it will lose power and falls on its face. it seems to do it at about 55 and also under aload. i have replaced plugs,wires,cap,rotor,throttle position sensor,ignition module. thanks rick, email snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
reo883

shotgun might make a good name, but it is not a good *protocol* for repairing anything, as indicated in your above post.

Spark Fuel Air

And you didn't mention transmission. What color is the tranny fluid?

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

red,it shifts good, its like when its in third and goes into over drive it boggs at both points thanks for any help rick,

Reply to
reo883

red is good.

I wonder when the transmission fluid filter was last changed. Do you know?

Since this seems to be a speed related issue, I'm ignoring the engine for the moment, and thinking more about the transmission.

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

I don't know when it was changed last, it was bought a week ago. Its clean and red, I had to syphon a half quart out, because it was over full. Also, I was told that it could be the EGR Valve, but not positive.

Reply to
reo883

Yah. You've only had this car for about a week, with no real history of what has and hasn't been done in the way of maintenance. That makes it tough.

OK, IF THE TRANNY WAS OVERFULL BY 1/2 QUART, that means somebody JUST DID A FLUID CHANGE ( incorrectly, I might add ). It is an idea a seller might get. New oil, new oil filter, anything to make the car look good. I suspect this is new tranny fluid, but what was in there before you got it raises the red flag. We simply don't know.

My approach to this would be to drain the fluid ( as much of it as I could get to ) through the transmission fluid fill tube, so when I dropped the tranny pan I wouldn't get coated, as I have in the past. I have a vacuum pump I use these days for such. Then drop the pan and look for metal shavings on the magnets in the bottom of the pan. Fines are normal. chunks ARE NOT! Clean the magnets, put in a new tranny filter and gasket, re-install the pan. At least you can see the "debris field" in the transmission fluid sump to give you an Idea about the state of this critical component. That is where I would begin this adventure. Just my idea.

Lg

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

Ok, thanks a lot.

Reply to
reo883

Three dumb questions.

1) What is the fuel pressure and delivery volume?

2) What is the ignition timing set to, and how did you set it?

3) What is the exhaust back pressure?

4) What is the manifold vacuum at idle, cruise, WOT, after a throttle snap in neutral?

Okay, that's nine questions, I'm a mechanic, not a math professor, and 'I don't know' is not an acceptable answer to any of them.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

"aarcuda69062" wrote

IE: plugged catalytic converters?

Reply to
MasterBlaster

I'm pretty sure this car has a catalytic converter recall. Check your catalytic converter for failure/restriction.

Reply to
Kruse

No one ever thinks to replace the fuel filters on these old Fords because it's not under the hood.

Run codes and post the codes you get here.

Reply to
clifto