81 F150 4 Speed Manual - no reverse

Hi all

I have an 81 F150 with a 4 Speed Manual transmission. I had the transmission fluid pumped out of it and filled with new 80w-90 fluid. Now I have no reverse. It shifts without grinding or anything, but doesn't move. First still works. I thought about linkage becoming disconnected but the linkage is evidently inside the transmission as the stick shift goes right into the back of the transmission with no visible linkage. Has anyone encountered this before, and how do I fix it?

Thanks Ros

Reply to
Roscoe Coaltrain

"Kruse" wrote

Kruse, I think you hit the nail on the head. I've seen this happen before on other transmissions, as you say, the bolt that holds the reverse idler shaft in place in the case can look very similiar to a fill plug in some cases.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Whoever worked on your vehicle removed the bolt holding the internal shifter, mistaking it for a drain plug, would be my guess. You will need to disassemble the tranny.

mike hunt

Rocs Coal tra>

Reply to
MelvinGibson