90 cavelier z24 weird transmission behavior

when I'm travelling down the road around 45 mph, I'll have my foot a little bit on the gas to maintain speed, and my car will seem to shift up and down repeatidly until I either put in the gas, or let off of the gas, I also see the RPM's going up and down slightly.

First off, I'm wondering what is causing this problem? is my transmission going to crap? or could it be something simple like, I need to get my transmission fluid flushed out, or something else. Also, I'd be interested in hearing any estimates on how much it might cost to fix this problem.

Second off, I'm wondering how serious the problem is. There definately seems to be something wrong, but it's something I can live with. What scares me, is if the problem gets worse. I'm scared because I've heard it costs a lot to replace your transmission, and I'm not sure I want to put that much money into my car, rather then just get a new one. I don't really drive all that often, just on the weekends, so if this is a problem that may eventually lead to my transmission dying, perhaps I should ride it out. If it's going to crap out on me fairly soon, then maybe it's time to get a new car, or get it fixed.

-Bobby

Reply to
Bobby Boden