A thought on fixing a leaking heater core!

Hi, I thought I would make this a separate thread from my other one about a decent 12 volt portable heater. Now, that the in and out hoses are pieced together in a bypass for the heater core leaking, I was wondering.....what if later this summer I ran some Barseal (?) or Stopleak just through the heater core via the ins and outs with some kind of looped setup?

So, I guess what I am asking is how I could attempt this. I am assuming I will need the proper heater hose sizes, some additive that will do the sealing....but how would I get this stuff flowing in and out and hopefully plugging up the leak? I think this might be a decent alternative as it wouldn't affect the engine, radiator and all connecting parts. I hear that is the main reason why most don't back using those stop the leaking products. Maybe this is an avenue to explore. Please get back to this thread if you have an idea how this could be accomplished or have followed through on another method that might work. Thanks for the help in the other thread and assisting in this one, psongman

Reply to
psongman

I would hook it up proper and heat up the engine or follow the stop leak directions to a T and see what happens. After, you can disconnect it like it was and flush out the rad to get the extra stop leak out if you are worried about it.

I actually like having some stop leak product in my system all the time in my Jeep CJ7 and the stuff I used is for that. I off road and twist up my frame and free standing rad bad sometimes and get leaks. It's nice to smell the leak, stop and look and watch them seal up when I am way back in the deep Canadian bush, I'll tell ya.

I do flush out my heater core and rad every few years too.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile... Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Jan/06
Mike Romain

Reply to
sdlomi2