dark nights and headlights

now the dark nights are here, is there anything at all i can do to stop the glare from on coming traffics headlights ? travelling down country roads it gets to the point where im blinded - making driving rather precarious, the headlights almost appear they are on main beam its a bmwe30 and its been lowered 40mm

Reply to
mark

Buy an SUV

Reply to
jeremy

Either raise it back to standard level, so you are above the dip cutoff, or place an advert in the Sunday times motoring section, gracefully requesting that all drivers have their dipped beams lowered further than required by law, to save damaging your eye site, possibly your car, and maybe even a poor child out late at night innocently letting off bangers and shoving industrial roman candles into letter boxes, blissfully unaware that you are driving blind for the sake of fashion.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Don't look at the lights.. look away.

I always look towards the curb (or on backroads, the hedge/wall/dropoff) on my side of the road. That was only the right side of my eye gets the light.. then when I look back I have okay sight.

------------------------------------------------ "We are all individuals" "I'm not!"

Reply to
Carl Smith

LOL!

Reply to
DervMan

There's not much you can do, really. Different people are more sensitive to different light than others. Charlie's especially sensitive to blue / white light, so at night she can have real issues. She just has to slow down or stop - there's nothing else one can realistically do if you're dazzled, I'm afraid. My eyes seem to cope much better, but I'm intolerant of red light (Charlie has no issue), so I guess there's a pattern here. The dazzle from illuminated rear fog lamps or brake lights hurts my eyes but she's not bothered by it.

Avoiding looking at the light is useful, and you may find that putting your hand in the way can help. I look to the kerb, to the side, anywhere but at the light, heh. :)

I suppose putting the car back to standard height will help matters, but really, the only solution is to slow down or stop if you're dazzled. :-/

Reply to
DervMan

they need banning.

Reply to
Johnny

on a similar note - I notice the super fandango sports front fog lamp, makes my car look fast, brigade are out in force now the nights are drawing in.

Reply to
Johnny

Grow 40mm taller?

Reply to
Questions

Or sit on a cushion hence making you 40mm taller ?

Reply to
Ronny

Sell Beemer, buy Landrover / other SUV. Problem solved.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

funny enough its mainly land rovers and range rovers............... and those HID headlights

Reply to
mark

not really a fashion thing, just a personal thing - the cars still on 14" steel wheels with bmw hubcaps the cars bog standard as well apart from the suspension (the suspension all needed replacing a year back) my new e30 318IS is low as standard

Reply to
mark

A BMW? You could try shutting your eyes

Reply to
Mark W

Park up when it gets dark or stop staring at the oncoming lights. Look down your own beam.

Reply to
Conor

Wouldn't that affect his ability to drive properly, oh wait.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Get your eyes checked, you may need new glasses.

Reply to
Depresion

If you have astigmatism you will suffer more from this. Try closing one eye as the car approaches you and then swapping eyes. You may find that for example it helps more if you close your right eye first. Try it out.

Otherwise, I remember a few years ago someone was flogging night driving glasses that had lenses which were kind of orangey/yellowy.

On the other hand it it's really bugging you, get an eye test. I found that I needed specs and now I hardly have a problem at all with glaring headlights. And watching TV doesn't give me a headache (unless X factor is on)

Reply to
fishman

Seconded.

I find it *much* more comfortable to drive at night with my glasses on, than with them off. Makes no difference with them on, or off, in daylight though...

Reply to
Nom

in news: snipped-for-privacy@news2.newsguy.com, "Nom" slurred :

Yup. Your (i.e. everyone's) eyesight is worse when the pupil is dilated

- the cornea is only a reasonable lens shape over a smallish range in the middle, which is o.k. during the day when the pupil is contracted, but at night the pupil dilates to include quite a crappy region. Your prescription is usually taken in low light levels, so your glasses are effectively _designed_ to correct your night vision!

Reply to
Albert T Cone