Air Filter Clean

hey all, today i cleaned the air filter on my 98 civic hatchback and it was pretty dirty, i havent cleaned it for more than a year.

i reved the car abit and i swear it sounded like a different car, it sounded alot stronger, i drove it abit and could feel it was going better too.

this is a normal cheapo air filter, which is why i was thinking of getting a KnN Air Filter. Do u think it will let more air into the motor? what are the benefits of getting it? and how much would it cost in Australian Dollars?

thnx heaps people and Merry Christmas!

Sandro

Reply to
Sandro

cleaned a paper air filter?

You can clean it somewhat by simply shaking the crud out of it, then if you have an air blast, use that from the inside out. However, just go buy a new filter...

Reply to
Lon Stowell

Yes, going from a dirty, clogged ait filter to a clean one makes a big positive difference in power.

I don't think K and N has much better air flow.

Reply to
Lecher9000

Yes, but oil will get dirty quicker, scoring cylinder walls.

Placebo effect. -IMO

Reply to
Tibur Waltson

Maybe. K&N was originally designed for off track racing where the idea was to _finish_ no matter what. Since the engine was to be rebuilt frequently, dirt was really not an issue. If a K&N clogs, the intake from a revved engine will be enough to pull some dirt through and let it breath again. In a typical street setting, the K&N will let a little more dirt in when first installed. As the dirt particles clog the filter, it will become a better filter. The same is true of a paper filter. They let a bit of dirt in when new but then reduce the flow over time. With a paper filter eventually clogs.

Reply to
Jimmy

him when will oil get dirty quiker? can u explain this, thanks

sandro

Reply to
Sandro

Oil can get dirty at 3,000 miles or so since K&N have larger holes. The more you clean them the more the dirts get thru. You can use them to race a buddy but not cummuting to work or near dusty locations.

K&N filter were fun because I like cleaning them. But it can clean out my wallet if those dirts end up in my cylinder walls or bearings. I imagine dirt clogging the oil filter, callapses it and hell starts to break loose. But if you change oil often it's no problem.

Reply to
Tibur Waltson