AntiFrezze leak. What seals this?

The dealer quoted me $1200 to replace the head gaskets on my 2001 Subaru Outback. While I am getting these gaskets and am goign to do the work myself I need to by myself some time. How much time do you think I have? Can I ruin the engine if I don't get it fixed right now? A week? A month? I have also heard of this silver additive that seals up leaks. Has anyone used this stuff? does it work well? TIA, Adam

Reply to
Adam

JimV

:: That is certainly possible.

::Can't predict.

I have also heard of this silver additive that seals

:: Again, it might buy you a little time but is no cure...only a 'bandaid'.

Reply to
HLS

Would running it without antifreeze damage anything, if it were in cold weather and not allowed to overheat?

Reply to
Man_In_A_Black_Hat

If the weather gets cold enough to freeze water and the engine is allowed to get cold it could break the block or heads, as well as the radiator and the heater core. Also, most modern cars run thermostats that keep the coolant temperature at or above boiling for plain water, so overheating is a definite possibility. To get around this for the short term you can replace the thermostat with a lower temperature one if it's available, and either install a lower temperature fan switch or wire the fan so that it runs all the time. This will keep the coolant at the thermostat temperature.

Now as to long term and short term consequences of the leak, it all depends on where it's leaking to. If it is leaking into the oil then the failure will be catastrophic and soon, less than 100 miles. Water, and especially antifreeze, shears the oil film on the bearings and will destroy an engine very quickly. If the coolant is leaking to the outside then it's not as critical, though hourly checking of the dipstick for signs of water would be a very idea since the intake gasket could continue to fail to the oil.

Additives are an all around bad idea, they plug up all small passages, including ones that are needed for heat balance in the block and heads, and the passages in the radiator and heater core.

JazzMan

Reply to
JazzMan

I am fairly "mechanically advanced" do you think this is something I could do myself if I can get my hands on a gasket set? Once again it's a 2001 Subaru Outback with the smaller engine. Thanks

Reply to
Adam

Reply to
Anthony Diodati

Disclaimer...I am not a mechanic just more of a tinkerer but here are my thoughts:

If it is just an external leak and cannot really turn into an internal leak and it does not leak real fast why not just carry a jug of premixed antifreeze and top it up when necessary? I assume it must not leak fast because you mention an additive and no additive could fix a gusher. Sounds like something you might be sorry about later, if it is putting a coating over the whole inside of your cooling system it might lose some of its effectiveness? I don't know.

If you just go with my suggestion of letting it leak but you are concerned with it dripping on a manifold or something then perhaps you could put a rag near the leak to sop it up?

If it were like a 1978 I'd say try anything but don't wreck an expensive engine when you could just rent a different vehicle or something.

I have wrecked 2 engines in my life from bad gaskets letting antifreeze into the oil...it really sucks!! I got rid of that car though.

Reply to
JD