Vin Number Lookup

Greetings once again!

I finally got the correct VIN # on this "Supposed" 70 Beetle and guess what,.. the chasiss number doesn't match the VIN number on the dash. A whole crowd of you told me that it was a 73 and I can now confirm that you are indeed correct!,..

My Mechanic says that in the "Old" days car theives would go to a junkyard and get the Dash plate off and replace it on a stolen car making it legit again. He sugested I try carfax and look it up,.. Now the problem,.... CarFax won't do anything pre 1981. So does anyone know where I can look up this PRE 81 VIN without calling attention to the Cops who might say it;s HOT and take it from me ? I really do want to learn as much as possible but I've got way to much $ invested in this to give it up now .

THanks in advance Ken

Reply to
Ken

It is still possible (and probable) that the body has been swapped from the original chassis. In the UK, at least, the year of the car is taken from the chassis, not any body 'mods'.

Rich

snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote:

Reply to
tricky

also, AFAIK, in the uk we dont have the Dash panel VIN. I've not seen one anyway !

If I am wrong, somone tell me where it is so I can go look :-)

Rich

Reply to
tricky

IN the US you look on the drivers side on the dash through the windshield,...

Ken

Reply to
Ken

or even just the dash?

Reply to
Howard Rose

but if the DVLA find out you've used a second-hand body, you'll lose your registration and get a Q-plate :-P

Reply to
Howard Rose

Not so !

I think you posted the link last time !

You score points for engine, chassis, steering gear etc, so you can keep the rest stock, change the body, and still pay no tax !

Rich

Howard Rose wrote:

Reply to
tricky

nope - not got them here .

rich

Reply to
tricky

So yeah, okay. Should have read all the threads before answering. Glad you're getting it all figured out. Good luck.

K.

Reply to
Kidd Andersson

It is so!

Yup, but...

The points system is as follows:

Chassis/body shell (body and chassis as one unit - monocoque)* (original or new) = 5 Suspension = 2 Axles = 2 Transmission = 2 Steering Assembly = 2 Engine = 1

You need at least 8 points to keep your registration. HOWEVER the DVLA site also states...

"If a second-hand chassis/monocoque bodyshell is used, the vehicle must pass a ESVA/SVA test after which a "Q" prefix registration number will be allocated."

If you use "A new chassis or monocoque bodyshell of the same specification as the original supported by evidence from the dealer/manufacturer (e.g. receipt)" you can keep your registration.

However if you swap the body for a secondhand one, you can always do what everyone does and keep quiet about it :-)

Reply to
Howard Rose

they have only been made compulsory recently

Reply to
Howard Rose

the vw busses are monocoque, the beetles are not 'true' monocoque.

Thats why you look for a pre 73 chassis to make your beach buggy or sandrail and keep the old reg.

Rich

Reply to
tricky

Also

"A vehicle will retain its donor registration mark if either the original unmodified chassis _OR_ unaltered monocoque bodyshell and two other major components are used."

Rich

Reply to
tricky

Ahhh but a beach buggy would (theoretically) use a NEW body shell, thus being able to keep your original reg!

When using a secondhand bodyshell on a chassis, the DVLA classes it as two cars being made into one vehicle.

With a shortened buggy, you need to SVA and get a Q-plate... since the chassis is altered from original.

That is if you do everything "by the book". However, most people keep quiet and don't say anything! The company who have been making those

356 replicas have been getting away with it for years!
Reply to
Howard Rose

but the context of the "original unmodified chassis" is when it is either combined with a new bodyshell (either original or kit car)...

A friend of mine wrote to the DVLA about this about 3 years ago.

Reply to
Howard Rose

In my state (Utah) all that matters in the chassis number, under the rear seat on the tunnel. Easily misread... hehe.

Good luck, and if you can deal with the hassles of your local DMV most any vehicle can be registered legally.

Even vehicles with NO VIN, at last here.

Good luck.

Bryan

Reply to
Bryan

NY Says that it's the number on the Tag on the dash that they care about. It is against the law to tamper with it. But since the Bug is so old (Pre 1981) they don't pay much attention to it. BUT,... When the cop is looking at your Registration sticker the number on the tag "MUST" match the number on the reg,... that is why they put the reg sticker right next to that tag.

So NY says I have a 1970 VOLKS but I know the truth,.. And as long as I know what year to order parts for I'm OK with it. But this mess has cost me $85 in "Wrong" parts so far that I can't get back. THe mechanic opened the box and installed the parts,.. they didn't work right but they did fit . SO I can't get my $ back,.. but I am most certainly wiser about it so it's not a total loss.

Ken

Reply to
Ken