Ball joint problem in 95 Quest

Recently, I got the front brakes replaced. The dealer told me that the front left ball joint needs to be replaced because it is "loose". Cost about $255. He was not able to give me a good explanation of the effect of this loose part.

So, does this sound correct? The car has 95k miles on it. I don't feel anything wrong while driving it. How does this affect driving? What does it affect if replacement is delayed? Thanks.

-mark sabatini

Reply to
mark sabatini

Take the car to a tire shop that does alignments and buy one of those $29.95 alignment jobs. If the ball joint really is loose they won't be able to complete the alignment and will tell you this, as well as probably be able to replace the joint cheaper. If they can align it, then the car certainly would have needed it after

95K miles.

A loose ball joint can introduce tire shimmy which while you may not be able to feel it, will prematurely wear the tires. It also destroys the alignment which will of course wear out the tires faster plus it reduces the ability of the car to hold the road, which can be dangerous particularly in wet weather.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Pretty high for just one replacement. But then anytime front drive suspension work is done, it's easy to get hurt in the process of disassembly. Bad ones cause accelerated tire tread wear, i.e. just inside or outside tread.

- Bill

Reply to
Bill Hodgson