Black Disc on Wheel

This maybe a stupid question, but recently I've noticed several vehicles that have a black disc of some sort mounted on the outside of the wheel. It's usually on the driver side front wheel. I'm just curious what the disc is and what its purpose is. (And no I'm not talking about the tire :P)

Thanks, Nick

Reply to
what4893

Could they be police-locked vehicles that are illegally parked? These vehicle-handcuffs hold them until the tow truck comes along to move them to impound. S

Reply to
sdlomi2

Thats the center hub cover. It covers the ugly spindle nut that holds the hub on.

Reply to
PauL

"what4893" wrote

While the car's sitting still, or driving? The size of a CD or the size of the wheel? Totally flat, or bolts/holes in it?

Reply to
MasterBlaster

Most boots that I've seen are orange or yellow, but that is my thought too...

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

On Jul 12, 7:08 pm, "MasterBlaster" > vehicles that have a black disc of some sort mounted on the outside of

It is on the wheel while the vehicle is moving. It's the size of the wheel and appears to be a few inchhs thick and is bolted to the wheel. Thanks for the responses guys.

Reply to
what4893

what4893 wrote in news:1184694530.693520.285600 @g12g2000prg.googlegroups.com:

Maybe it's one of those advertising discs taxis sometimes have.

These stay still while the car is in motion, so you can read the ad. They're usually on all the wheels though, not just one.

Reply to
Tegger

"what4893" wrote

Does it spin with the wheel, or just kind or "hang" there? Spotted on Taxis, or "normal" cars?

MasterBlaster