window crank

Do I need to buy a specialty tool to remove the window crank handle on my toyota t100 pick up? The door handle broke, and I need to remove the interior door panel to replace it. Thanks in advance....

Reply to
suds mcduff

You could buy a standard, commonly available tool just for this purpose (to dislodge the retainer clip), but I find that a hook tool works wonders and is faster. If you have ever seen the common 4 piece pick sets from any of the major tool companies, one of those picks has a rounded end like Captain Hook's prosthetic. I first pry between the panel and handle to create enough space to see the clip. Then position the handle so that the closed side of the clip is facing up. Twist and install the hook tool around the clip and pull up slowly, so that you don't hook the vinyl panel material by accident. To reinstall the handle, install the clip on the handle first, then press it onto the door. You may find it is beneficial to align the handle as far away from your left knee area as possible with the window up. That way, the majority of the time while driving (window up for most people) your left knee won't hit it if it tends to wander around like mine does.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish

----Thanks for the help.