Caddy,,, will not shut off...

HI Guys this is a good one for a Monday, I have worked for GM for almost 20 years, BUT moms (OF CHORSE) will not shut off, I replaced the Ign. switch. it was burnt inside, it is adj. all works well. But I can walk away from the car with the keys in my hands, and it is running????????? If I jiggle the switch it will shut off, but this is moms car..... thanks guys JImmy

Reply to
wvmodeler

You may get more authoritative answers, but I would start looking for an intermittent short circuit in the vicinity of the ignition switch.

A look through the wiring diagram should tell you if there is any other failure mode that might allow the engine to continue to run, even though you have turned the (new) switch off.

Reply to
<HLS

...just a guess, but I can almost visualize a melted insulator allowing an intermittent short between 2 wires in the cluster that attaches to the switch prongs. HTH, s

Reply to
sdlomi2