car engine oil extended change

There is a video on the net somewhere of a guy in a sports car having to stay stopped at a light while a little ol' lady with a shopping bag slowly crosses in front of him. He rudely honks his horn at her, and she in turn swings her shopping bag, hitting the front of his car.

*POOF* His airbag deploys in his face, and she continues walking across the street. Dunno if it was a setup or not, doesn't look like it, but funnier than H anyway.
Reply to
hchickpea

( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

If you think that genuine, then there's absolutely no hope for you... For a start, why's the windscreen on the Merc CLK ("sports car"?) smashed?

Come to that, if you think it's FUNNY, there's little hope...

Reply to
Adrian

One of the big synthetic oil producers recommends this for 100% synthetic oil (which is what I use):

12 months or 25,000 miles, change the filter and all the oil. At the 6-month point, change the filter and the 1 quart of oil that goes with it. This replenishes the additives that take care of things like acids that form from combustion by-products.

Synthetics are also superb at hot and cold temp extremes.

I've been using it on my vehicles for years, typically about 25k miles per year. I have kept the vehicles for over 200k miles.

Reply to
websurf1

Yank Alert.

Recommending an oil change on a honda every 1700 miles is ludicrous, try not to post in Merkin groups...

Reply to
Tony Bond (UncleFista)

My brother had a used car in the 1990s blow the engine at less than 60,000 miles. Mechanic found all kinds of sludge and speculated the previous owner had changed the oil.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

"jw 1111" wrote in news:BCcOf.23886$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe4-gui.ntli.net:

FACTS

Depends if your low mileage is considered severe service, see above. Best way is to have an oil analysis done.

It would probably be cheaper to just do an oil change annually if your use is not severe.

Reply to
Charles Quinn

I only buy used cars and they usually have over 100K on them when I buy them. I hope I never buy one that you owned! I've had the pleasure of blowing up two cars engines, one at 124,000 miles (Chev Malibu Wagon) and the other at 278,000 miles (VW Scirocco ). I'm guessing the car that blew up at 124,000 miles was not treated properly by it's first owner/s. That or is blew up so early in life because it was made in America.

My current car (ford/mazda escort) had 132K when I bought it and now has 145k on it no problems so far. Even my piece of crap FORD Aerostar went 167K before I sold it to a junk yard because I was tired of replacing transmissions on it. I know the Aerostar had it's oil changed every 5000 miles, I have all the receipts from the original owners.

Reply to
amde

The O.P. has a 1.8 Liter? That's a little larger than a lawnmower engine where I live. Give the little feller a chance to live...feed it clean oil.

Lg

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

What matters is WHY the engine died. Lack of oil changes isnt likely to kill it suddenly, thats much more likely to be due to a failure of the cooling system. Even if you do get an increased level of corrosion, that should just see the engine need to be replaced because its producing too many emissions, not sudden failure.

Irrelevant to how it would have gone with no oil changes.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Lawrence Glickman (Lawrence snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Here in the rest of the world, it's towards the upper end of normal. It's three times the size of the engine in most of my cars/vans.

'merkins. Bless 'em.

Reply to
Adrian

It's not a 2-stroke dude. ;)

Reply to
Tony Bond (UncleFista)

Motorcycle engine...

Reply to
Neil Nelson

?!?

What is ? Or are you accusing someone of being one ?!?

Reply to
Tony Bond (UncleFista)

Indeed, I was trying to be polite. Think MoPed

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

Sorry... What you all consider normal (or the upper end of normal) is about the size of a motorcycle engine in these parts.

Reply to
Neil Nelson

Forty years ago, it was common practice to drain the engine coolant at the end of winter and replace it with plain water - that was in the days before most cars had air conditioning. I wouldn't rely on a 40 year old memory - maybe you should talk to a professor familiar with the current situation.

Reply to
Lou

Lawrence Glickman (Lawrence snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Ah. I've got two mopeds. One and a half brake (broken?) horsepower and

98cc. Combined.

Now, just get back to whinging about the fact your fuel prices are approaching a third of everybody elses...

Reply to
Adrian

Why spend money keeping the engine in tip top condition just so that when the car fails an mot on lots of small but expensive faults and is uneconomical to repair it goes to the scrappie with a good engine. I think the sensible thing to do is save a bit of money and try and get the engine to be as tired as the rest of the car when it is scraped.

Steve

Reply to
smarshall

( snipped-for-privacy@gmx.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

But that ends up costing you more, and contributing to the even earlier death of the car, due to the increased fuel consumption and emissions- related MOT fail.

Reply to
Adrian

Adrian wrote

No it doesnt.