car engine oil extended change

Dave Plowman (News) ( snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

KPH, Dave, KPH. Conor's used to truck speedos, which are all in KPH.

Although I think that may be optimistic, too.

But, of course, since Conor *never* breaks a speed limit, even that'd be a guesstimate.

Reply to
Adrian

Heh-heh...

A little.

Had it up to a ton ten. Might get a bit more now as its got a 32/36 DGAV and K&N on.

Reply to
Conor

My SORenault is comfier than a Town Car, quieter, better equipped, better built, faster, better handling and better on fuel as well.

The only advantage the TC has over my SORenault is the TC has a decent auto box.

Reply to
Pete M

In news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net, Conor wrote something quite bizarre, possibly in an effort to confuddle the world. It went like so;

My Capri would indicate 110 (mph), but I seriously doubt the accuracy of the speedo.

Mine didn't have the K&N, but it had a Janspeed manifold.

110 would be right on the limit of /standard/ Capri 2.0 performance I reckon.
Reply to
Pete M

Your TC has more seats and a bit more presense too.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

It's got lots and lots more presence.

The Safrane is invisible to the naked eye.

Reply to
Pete M

I've only ever had it out the top.

Luckily Vauxhall made the petrol cap fitting the same as the 710 cap fitting.

They don't now though :-(

Reply to
PC Paul

1987 Capri 1600 was supposed to be 73bhp and 98mph 1987 Capri 2000 was supposed to be 101bhp and 110mph 1987 Capri 2.8i was supposed to be 160bhp and 130mph 1987 Sierra 1600 was supposed to be 75bhp and 103mph
Reply to
Nick Finnigan

So I was pretty close then :-)

Reply to
Pete M

It's time to retire them all, 1991 200SX 1.8 turbo 169bhp 137mph and about 1/2 sec quicker 0-60 than the 2.8i.

Peter Hill

Because, in an ideal world, you'd be doing this with a warm engine.... hence there will still be lots of oil higher up than the sump.

And yes, I have suffered the consequences of doing this ;-)

Hot engine oil hurts, doesn't it?

Reply to
SteveH

SteveH ( snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

And how's that make a difference in EVERY case?

Reply to
Adrian

If you drain the oil pan first, then change the filter after the oil pan has slowed to a drip, this won't be an issue.

If you are only changing the filter, there's no reason to bother doing it with the engine in any particular state, hot or cold.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Not really. The idea is to leave the engine a few minutes to give the oil chance to drain back to the sump.

Reply to
Conor

I agree. It has always amused me how people will go cheap on changing their oil but spend so much on the rest of a car. A $20 oil change vs. a $50 fill up of low grade fuel. You are spending nearly a thousand dollars on gas within the "5000 miles" of a oil change.

Reply to
ferretkona

I read about 50 messages, and decided this was more interesting than doing my taxes. I have a subaru GL wagon, 1978. the miles have turned over twice. yeah, it burns oil. I add a quart every 500 miles, and change it once a year. I figure with all the new oil going thru it, the contaminants get blown out along with the oil. I'm a girl, so dont call me a fucknut. I dont have the equipment. Debi

Reply to
Debi

You might want to change the filter every 4-5K miles or so, if you plan on keeping the car forever. But a Scooby with 200+K miles is likely about to fall apart from rust, at least where I grew up...

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Classic.

Reply to
Conor

fucktit? Well, it's what you'd have done if you'd never changed the oil :-)

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

This is reasonable anecdotal evidence. Note that if you changed your oil more often earlier on, it might not be taking so much oil to run now.

This is probably true, but I bet a lot of them are winding up in other places (like on your back bumper). And I presume you don't have emission standards where you live either.

That's okay, it's available as a third-party retrofit these days, even if it didn't come standard from the factory.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey