car engine oil extended change

they say change the oil every 3000 miles, this seems to satisfy most service recommendations for city driving.

when I was on the road driving 30-35,000 miles per year, I changed oil every 7500 miles, never any motor problems.

when you drive mostly in the city, and occasionally on the hiway, 3 -

5000 mile oil changes seems about right.

look at the oil - if it seems black, gooey, thick - before due time, it's time for a change, and probably previous change times were neglected.

for mostly city driving I have done pretty well with 6 months, or 3000 mile for time / mileage limits on oil changes.

in addition to oil changes, plugs, sensor warnings, injector service, and etc. should me monitored, and serviced when needed.

tires: below minimum air pressure in the u s - accounts for 4 million gallons of wasted gasoline per day. think about it, that's a lot of gas / moola down the drain.

m h o =A0v =83e

Reply to
fiveiron
12 - 15 thousand miles a year is considered about the average mileage for

a family car. that is an average of 40 miles per day on a 24/7 basis, and, or an

oil change every two and a half months - if you change the oil every three

thousands miles as recommended by some. makes one want to pop for the

pennzoil, or is mobil - that has the extended mileage oil - but still they

recommend you follow the manufacturer's recommendation for oil changes -

seemingly a catch 22 situation.

m h o =A0v =83e

Reply to
fiveiron

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Rod Speed" saying something like:

Could you pair of retarded wankers learn to snip?

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote

Go and f*ck yourself or you'll get Bobbitted.

Reply to
Rod Speed

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Rod Speed" saying something like:

You're getting the idea. Now, all you have to do is follow the words on the drool-flecked screen with your fingers.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Some gutless f****it desperately cowering behind Grimly Curmudgeon wrote just the puerile shit thats all it can ever manage.

Reply to
Rod Speed

say a guy buys a new olds 88, uses 30 wt.oil (single grade), never has a motor problem, how do you account for that?

is this "additive" package so much hog wash(?) and is only used as a replacement for the good oil it replaces.

25% of a quart is 8 ounces(additive), that is supposedly a curative for the oil's "breakdown". that's asking a lot.

m h o =A0v =83e

Reply to
fiveiron

This person lives in a temperate region where it never gets too hot, never gets too cold.

My summers can reach 100+F My winters go to below Zero F

Miltiviscosity makes sense where I live. In other places, like central Tennesee, maybe not.

Oil without additive packages won't last long.

Maybe. But it works.

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

Meanwhile Rod Speed proved that a lone chimpanzee bashing at a keyboard will never reproduce the works of Shakespeare.

Reply to
Conor

If you use synthetic oil, you can stretch the oil changes to 25,000 miles, with filter change at 1/2 the mileage.

I've been using Amsoil synthetic for 18 years now, and routinely run it that long- the last 2 cars I used it in both had 220,000 miles on them when I sold them- and were still running strong, with 175 psi compression in each cylinder- and they were American cars.

If you use regular oil, you must change it 3000 miles. It breaks down. Synthetic is man-made and has a much stronger molecular structure- truck fleets never change their oil- they do oil samples and routinely wait 100,000 or more before changing it- when the sample shows it needs it- they use synthetic.

Regular oil was designed for the model T and is just as antiquated- all the current automakers have their own synthetic oil now- and some performance cars come with synthetic new.

Reply to
66fourdoor

Eh?

Explain how you can change a filter without it being part of the oil change......

Reply to
SteveH

Change filter, top up with oil.

It's a 'Merkin thing..

At least I'm assuming it is, it seems the US is the only society in the world who think 3k oil changes are needed...

Reply to
Tony Bond (UncleFista)

Erm, but you're meant to do the changes with the oil warm, which generally means it's not all drained into the sump.

Reply to
SteveH

Time overrides have been twelve months in Europe for many years and with today's extended service intervals of 20,000 to 30,000 miles, these have a two year time limit which is automatically indicated on the instrument panel as it becomes due. If twelve month limits have worked in the humid UK over many years then it will work anywhere.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Gas is the same as UK and diesel was the same until about 6 years ago.

12 month overides have been standard here since the late 70's.

Until low sulfur diesel is required in the U.S. (and it's

Yes of course. Especially if all those large SUV's could be replaced with diesel and perhaps be downsized on average.

The Chrysler 300 is now available here as a diesel and a superb thing it looks to be, especially with the optional mesh grill which makes it look like the spitting image of a modern Bentley. You must know that modern Jeeps sell mostly with diesel engines here, including the Grand Cherokee, and the Voyager as well as US built BMW X5 and Mercedes ML?

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Some silly little f****it claiming to be Conor wrote just the puerile shit thats all it can ever manage.

Reply to
Rod Speed

While I agree with most of that, I would add that the ZDDP does not pose a problem to cats fitted to engines which do not consume significant quantities of oil. The oil has superior wear properties to most API certified oils and if used in well run-in engines will theoretically prolong their life somewhat with no cat problems resulting. Would I use it? No. I would use Mobil1 10w/40 which is both API certified and certified for use in the longest drain intervals relevant today of

20,000 miles or so. There are even higher standards in general use by some GM and VW/Audi engines which call for oils capable of 30,000 miles use even in diesel engines and they are in common use in Europe.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Some gutless f****it desperately cowering behind Grimly Curmudgeon wrote just the puerile shit thats all it can ever manage.

Reply to
Rod Speed

He's not living in Maine, that's how I account for it. If he's living in Florida, that's fine.

Well, if he buys 30W oil, it's still chock full of additives, including lots of detergents to keep combustion byproducts in suspension. It just doesn't have any viscosity improvers, that's all.

If the operating temperature is always constant, viscosity improvers aren't needed. If the operating temperature varies a lot, they are essential.

Well, you could argue that 100% of oil is actually additives. Including the oil part.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Can you come round and clean the monitor for me?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)